Why become a member? ×

Pedals for synth and double bass sounds

Storky

I’ll admit to knowing next to nothing about effects pedals, so am after advice/pointers. If I want to replicate 80s synth bass sounds, with an arpeggiator, is there a pedal that can do this? Similarly, on a keyboard I can cop a double bass sound, but is there a pedal that will let me access these sounds via a bass guitar? Wouldn’t a unit combining this functionality be a winner?

Thanks guys, I know about foam and hand muting, I’m really after info about if there is a pedal that replicated the tone of a DB and/or the 80s synth sounds. Thank you @Leonard Smalls for the pedal advice,👍 this is what I’m after. Anyone know of any others, either for the DB sound or the 80s synth sounds? 

3 hours ago, Storky said:

I’ll admit to knowing next to nothing about effects pedals, so am after advice/pointers. If I want to replicate 80s synth bass sounds, with an arpeggiator, is there a pedal that can do this? Similarly, on a keyboard I can cop a double bass sound, but is there a pedal that will let me access these sounds via a bass guitar? Wouldn’t a unit combining this functionality be a winner?

Have a look at the Source Audio C4 for the synth sounds I'm really tempted by one of these

• Like 1

Boss SY-1 will do 80s synth sounds and has an excellent arpeggiator.

It comes in compact Boss pedal form factor and is the least expensive of the current "top 3" bass synth pedals (the FI and Source Audio C4 being the other two and already mentioned above). Doesn't require any PC editing, but the flip side is that you'll need to note down your favourite settings as it doesn't store presets (the reverse is true for the FI and C4 i.e. both require PC / phone editing to get the best out of, but can both store presets).

I'm a big fan of the SY-1 and also have a FI that has been recently upgraded with some excellent new firmware, which our very own @Quatschmacher was closely involved in developing.

Please be warned however, the view expressed by some of our esteemed BC'ers is that these pedals: "just do an array of amusing - but ultimately of little real world use - bleeps, squeaks and farts" 😂

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Storky said:

on a keyboard I can cop a double bass sound, but is there a pedal that will let me access these sounds via a bass guitar?

Was this keyboard a midi controller and VST?  e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJPF82ZCRTA   The issue with using a bass guitar as a midi controller is that they can't track the low notes.

1 minute ago, jrixn1 said:

Was this keyboard a midi controller and VST?  e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJPF82ZCRTA   The issue with using a bass guitar as a midi controller is that they can't track the low notes.

No, just the DB sounds on a synth, can’t recall which one but it sounded quite authentic. Good point though; latency would likely be an issue for midi control 🤔

2 minutes ago, AlphaK said:

Love to get my hands on a Boss SY-1 but still seem to be out of stock 😞

Yeah I think @fretmeister has been waiting for his for a couple of months. I guess I was lucky in putting a pre-order in and getting one of the first batch to arrive. Seems to me that Boss have underestimated demand for this unit as there have stories of bottlenecks all over the place, not just in the UK.

12 hours ago, itu said:

I already mentioned the new mooers in another thread. Please check E7 and Tone capture.

mooeraudio.com/

Completely missed the arrival of the E7 - will be checking that one out further! 

Blimey, it's polyphonic and has an arpeggiator! All for £85. If it has decent tracking, then I suspect this could end up in several Xmas stockings. The only other caveat is that it wouldn't surprise me if Mooer release a B7 bass focussed variant. 

Edited by Al Krow

9 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Completely missed the arrival of the E7 - will be checking that one out further! 

Blimey, it's polyphonic and has an arpeggiator! All for £85. If it has decent tracking, then I suspect this could end up in several Xmas stockings. The only other caveat is that it wouldn't surprise me if Mooer release a B7 bass focussed variant. 

A lot of features for the money. Lo cut, hi cut would be a useful by themselves with 100% dry and attack speed settings available for swell type effect. And ability to save presets. Limitation seems to be 7 sounds vs 121 on the SY1. Not sure whether it tracks anything like as good on bass as it does on guitar.