Why become a member? ×

Fender Pino Palladino CS ???

ovialexm1

Hello all!

I don't write here to much but now I have a question that is bothring me. 😎

I have seen recently in topic "basses for sale" a few Fender Pino Palladino CS for sale with the same price like the stores have them. I am in Germany and I was searching at Thomann for that.

My question is: Are there different quality periods in building these basses or what is the reason people are selling second hand basses the same price like the stores sells them new?

Thanks!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Typhus said:

New ones are about 4100e. People are selling Pino's around 3000-3300e used. I see also that people are asking close to 4000e but well... You can always ask :) I bought mine for 3200e used.

We don't need to talk hypothetical if seller will sell his bass cheaper, stores also are flexible with price specialy when they sell so expencive bass... also are coming times like "black friday" 😊

There is right now one for sale for £3500 which converted in euros is 4,058 euro which is 40 euro less then thomann has them for 4,098 euro.

A bass from store has a few advantages:

1. Money back if you don't like the bass

2. Waranty

3. Shipping included and insurance paid.

4. Is not your responsability if something goes wrong with the shipping.

5. Nobody played that bass in concerts etc... nobody abuse it, and you are sure was carefuly checked before shipping.

So is 40 euros worth not to pay? I understood your point you can negociate but seller might refuse a negociation or after seller give you a 100 euro less is still worth buy second hand for so an expencive bass??? 

Edited by ovialexm1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

I think a lot of it is that they have been quite hard to get hold of in the UK yet they’re very desirable. Especially when you don’t include shipping there have been some advertised around the 2k mark, which is a lot less than thomann 

These high prices for Pino CS are not only in UK. I wish to find one for £2,000 but I don't think that is posible.

So, coming back to my question, are there different quality periods in building these basses? I know they are already for some years on market. Anybody noticed a diference?

5 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

They seem to be “desirable” but always come up for sale...weird.

High end gear is sold for exactly the same reasons as less expensive gear.

I sold my mk2 Wal so I could buy a better mk 3. I sold the mk3 Wal because I had moved on in my playing situation and it was not being played. I sold one of the best basses I've played because I found a better one. None of this has any bearing on the quality of the gear.

• Like 1

And if anyone needs a fair chunk of money for whatever reason selling one of these on - even if it’s painful to do so - is a good way of raising said funds.

Re these basses though, now I’ve played more than a couple of Precisions I think a few on here might be aware of that, and hands down the Pino that I played was the best Precision I’ve ever played, it just felt so comfortable and sounded great as well. That said I’m not sure I think they’re worth nearly three times as much as a US Standard, but that’s my opinion not fact. 

Edited by Lozz196

2 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Limelight, anyone...?

Or these guys too https://restauracja-gitar.pl/basy/ - nitro refinished and/or reliced MIJ/CIJ Fender Reissues for the price of a Mex. In most cases a little cheaper than Limelight but possibly a little less flexible. However, all genuine Fenders just refinished, so keeps the “why does it have a Fender decal?” crew quiet.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, skej21 said:

Or these guys too https://restauracja-gitar.pl/basy/ - nitro refinished and/or reliced MIJ/CIJ Fender Reissues for the price of a Mex. In most cases a little cheaper than Limelight but possibly a little less flexible. However, all genuine Fenders just refinished, so keeps the “why does it have a Fender decal?” crew quiet.

Yes indeed - some of their stuff on FB is gorgeous.

1 hour ago, skej21 said:

I’ve never heard of these before, that buzz hornet #87 looks well nice 🙂

• Like 1

Well... I think the price is because of the demand. Fender custom shop is not making too many of these Pinos a year and I think the demand is big. It's one of their most popular custom shop basses. When I was looking for mine I had to wait many months to find one in good price (I didnt have money for new one)... Now there have been many Pinos for sale recently...

Why did I buy it? Well, I wanted vintage 60's p-bass and real ones cost WAY too much for me... And the old ones always have some "issues" and things to check out. When buying a Fender custom shop instrument I know that it has been well made. My bass has been in heavy use for 10 years before I got it, its VERY resonant and works great. I bought it from shop not private seller and had "one week return"-policy if I didnt like it and if there was problems. But, its still a P-bass. I had very nice japanese P-bass but it just didnt have the "mojo" or "feeling" that I like in old basses. 

Regarding the CS basses, they’re not mass produced so they are likely to be slightly inconsistent but with longer hours spent on quality checking should mean that none of them are bad basses. The OP is asking for people who have owned multiple PP basses. I don’t think there will be many who have the money to do that. 

56 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

Regarding the CS basses, they’re not mass produced so they are likely to be slightly inconsistent but with longer hours spent on quality checking should mean that none of them are bad basses. The OP is asking for people who have owned multiple PP basses. I don’t think there will be many who have the money to do that. 

Not necesary to own multiple basses (because people rarely are buying the same custom model more then one), but to compare them in different circumstances. For exemple, 2 or 3 years ago I was in Frankfurt in one musicstore calked "Session" and they had on stock 2 basses (new made, and same perioad) and I could not tell the diference between them. They had the price at the time around 3200 or 3400 euro if I remember corectly and they been for some time in the store. Looks like in the last a few years prices of these models increase considerable.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Piers_Williamson said:

The only shocking thing about this is that they’re the only company to be fined. Literally every company we dealt with when I worked in the shop sent reps round to check your pricing and threatened to pull dealerships if you didn’t “make it competitive for other stores” by having pricing the same. Most obvious examples are if you google a big brand (like a Taylor guitar) and hit ‘shopping’ and look at the long list of all the big name music retailers keeping exactly the same price. It’s not that Fender are an exception, it’s just common practice and it’ll not be long before they catch someone else.