Why become a member? ×

Battery Power

stewblack

Just arrived - full review to follow. The other (more expensive) model I looked at charged via usb, the socket being attached directly to the pcb seemed a major vulnerability so I've gone for this. 

Hopefully it's bye bye to mains noise and extension leads. We'll see. 

IMG_20191108_161113.thumb.jpg.cdab2808ea3314e43a155d774ed7187b.jpg

4 minutes ago, Twigman said:

I had a Pedaltrain Volto for a while.

I hated using it as I was always paranoid it would die mid set.

I have the same fear.

i installed a 6xAA battery pack under my guitar jam board (4 compact pedals) but I never really trusted it. Eventually I fitted a Fuel Tank Junior.

9 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Hopefully it's bye bye to mains noise and extension leads. We'll see. 

Is it mains noise or is it chatter from a digital pedal messing with the analog ones? Another alternative to extension leads is an extra-long mains lead (say 5m) to your PSU.

13 minutes ago, JapanAxe said:

I have the same fear.

i installed a 6xAA battery pack under my guitar jam board (4 compact pedals) but I never really trusted it. Eventually I fitted a Fuel Tank Junior.

Is it mains noise or is it chatter from a digital pedal messing with the analog ones? Another alternative to extension leads is an extra-long mains lead (say 5m) to your PSU.

I don't really suffer from it! But this way I'm totally free from any danger. As to other solutions yes I have a long pedal snake but it won't power stuff like my Bass Whammy 

I understand the worry about batteries dying but this has indicators as to battery life, my wireless is battery powered, the receiver runs off a normal power bank as does my always on pedal which sits on the amp. 

For real fast in out set ups, awkward load ins, long walks to the venue due to parking issues this and a couple of pedals is potentially a very fast solution. 

Anyway I've done bought the thing now! 

45 minutes ago, Twigman said:

I had a Pedaltrain Volto for a while.

I hated using it as I was always paranoid it would die mid set.

Yep, this happened to me with a Rockboard LT XL.  Using ~250mA of pedals, the Rockboard being rated at 6600mAh at 3.7V,  it would give me (6600/250) x (3.7/9) = about 10 hours.

However, one time it was not fully charged, and then to compound this I left it turned on for the couple of hours after sound check before the gig started.  It died during the gig.  That's all my fault, not the battery pack's - but just be aware!

22 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Yep, this happened to me with a Rockboard LT XL.  Using ~250mA of pedals, the Rockboard being rated at 6600mAh at 3.7V,  it would give me (6600/250) x (3.7/9) = about 10 hours.

However, one time it was not fully charged, and then to compound this I left it turned on for the couple of hours after sound check before the gig started.  It died during the gig.  That's all my fault, not the battery pack's - but just be aware!

I had one, same specs, using 400ma of pedals, lasted 5 hours in practice, died at 2 hours from fully charged one gig. Got sent back. Was a good idea, not trying that again!

Way I see it this is just for effects. It dies, that's on me (unless it's faulty) just like my wireless died first proper gig (old batteries not holding charge) lose eithr of those things and I'm back in the game in seconds with a lead stright into the amp.

But I have yet to try it. I may be here in a couple of months reporting a failed experiment, I may love it. Time will tell.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Way I see it this is just for effects. It dies, that's on me (unless it's faulty) just like my wireless died first proper gig (old batteries not holding charge) lose eithr of those things and I'm back in the game in seconds with a lead stright into the amp.

Yeh, I always have my emergency lead ready to go at a moments notice. 

Just gave it a quick run through powering a Bass Whammy (1300mA) MS-60B (500mA) and a no name GEQ (can't be over 100mA and almost certainly less). These are the stated amperages - i've not measured any of them. Anyhoo, everything worked just fine and dandy. The unit charged pretty quickly, requires a very positive press to activate it so little danger of accidently starting it up in the bag. It's a nice size, not very heavy and nicely finished. So far so good.

Picture for size comparison.

mooer pps .jpg

Edited by stewblack
typo
  • Like 3

I've been running 8 pedals with it since 5.30 this evening. About an hour and a half ago the battery indicator began to suggest it was running low but it's still going and it's just past 10pm. Good enough for me. I don't tend to do many gigs longer than 4 1/2 hours!

A wireless pedal board is a wonderful thing. Tidy and easily portable. I'm a convert.

• Like 3

Weird thing. I tried swapping out my Boss Synth pedal for the Digitech Ricochet and the power block shut itself down. 

I've added up the amps from all the pedals combined and it is comfortably below 2A.

So why does it particularly dislike this one pedal?