Why become a member? ×

Returning amateur

invertigo

Does that title make any sense? Probably not!

Names Mark, 29, from Manchester. I first played bass when I was 16, so only 13 years ago. Unfortunately back then I was happy to just plod along in the background only bothering to learn root note sequences etc, so never really embraced the instrument or did anything more than picking single notes.

Cue a break in my playing of over 11 years and I've found a renewed vigour, only this time I want to do it right! So effectively, I'm starting from first principle. That, and I want to learn fingerstyle/slap this time too.

Currently running my 13 year old Ibanez GSR200, the very first bass I ever had. Upon digging it out of the back of the wardrobe, no wonder I never got along with it. Action of over 8mm at the 14th fret probably isnt ideal for a learner eh? (The truss rod was just a bit out) Anyway, I'm using it for the time being but I'm looking to step up in the near future, after all I have a bit more disposable income at 29 than at 16, so looking at the Player series Jazz.

So, I'm here to learn, hopefully pick up some tips and info and generally get involved in the community. I'm adamant to stick to playing this time so reckon setting myself goals and actually trying to learn the theory part of it will be what I need.

So, hi!

• Like 1