Why become a member? ×

Sore fingertip, splinter from string??

41Hz

36 minutes ago, Cato said:

As a fellow sufferer, this is the best stuff I've found.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OKeeffes-Working-Hands-Hand-Cream/dp/B00121UVU0

It definitely helps with the discomfort and it seems to help the split heal quicker than just leaving it alone.

Just showed the wife this link and she immediately comes down stairs with this, magic.

B31917E6-093F-456D-A450-E2599E4D2417.jpeg

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I fit medical equipment for the Nhs , so I’m constantly washing my hands or using wipes which dries your skin and causes splitting, as Cato says, O keeffes cream is great , and I use this , it moisturises but it’s not greasy 🙂

245A9EEF-D238-4313-8117-FAD90FD7617E.jpeg

Is the Burbury compulsory or can non-Chavs use it too?

image.png.6a0c1ca93aac4d1f94327b7acb1a3b2b.png

12 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

Probably a nerve issue rather than a splinter.  I've very occasionally had something similar, and the solution has been to ignore it and it goes away after a day or two

And it seems we're not alone:

https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/viewtopic.php?t=24109

Precis for those without the will to read it all, it does seem to be something that afflicts people on their fretting finger, with one guy who went to a doctor known for treating musicians being told that the doctor has seen it in violinists, but not guitarists (until then). Though I don't necessarily buy the doctor's theory about it being the inside of a callous growing inwards and hitting a nerve...

Yup, same here. It's rare but from time to time it happens. 

The solution? Avoid pressing on the affected area too much, and let it go away when it chooses to. Typically overnight. Sometimes just a few hours. 

14 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

+1 for O’Keefe’s, but I tend to use Bepanthen which is a nappy rash cream. I dunno what it’s got in it, but it must be something akin to Pixie Dust - it’s that good!

Bepanthen's also the best thing for new tattoos...something I have to explain very loudly to visitors to my child-free house who spot half empty tubes of it in my bathroom

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

Bepanthen's also the best thing for new tattoos...something I have to explain very loudly to visitors to my child-free house who spot half empty tubes of it in my bathroom

My wife used it when she got a tattoo, many years ago. I suddenly got a rash. Turned out I was allergic to the bloody stuff.

• Sad 1

I get this regularly on my fretting hand index finger. Had it for years and it comes when i play for a while. Worse if playing rock music and holding same note doing 8ths. If its too bad i use a tiny spot of Voltorol on my fingertip. Works a treat.

It must be a trapped nerve of some kind as i've had it for couple years now. Guessing @41Hz is spot on with his diagram on this. If it happens during a gig i just use the pad a bit more and that works too. Seems fine if i'm playing different notes or strings a lot and moving it. Only when i hold the same note for a while.

Dave

• Thanks 1

On 07/11/2019 at 10:35, 41Hz said:

Strings are D’addario EXL170BT nickel wound. I’m not sure tape will work as it seems to be any pressure on the skin that causes the issue. Just tried dipping my finger in PVA glue and peeling it off but that didn’t work. Now icing it and taking ibuprofen. Had another look with a magnifying glass but can’t see anything.

I have also had this and I play EXL165 nickle wound. I don't recall actually finding a  metal splinter so the Phantom splinter thing may be what it was.

It was very sensitive for at least two weeks.

Solution - Just play open strings and hold your sensitive clenched fist in the air in a display of defiance. 😎

• Haha 3

Had a 6hr rehearsal on Sun using flats for the first time in about 30+ years. Sandberg VM4 and i found they made me play a bit lighter with both hands for some odd reason and therefore the sore finger issue never made an appearance.

Maybe i've just been playing too aggressively with both hands.

Dave 

19 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Had a 6hr rehearsal on Sun using flats for the first time in about 30+ years. Sandberg VM4 and i found they made me play a bit lighter with both hands for some odd reason and therefore the sore finger issue never made an appearance.

Maybe i've just been playing too aggressively with both hands.

Dave 

I switched to my jazz with flats and my sore finger was pretty much gone by Sunday morning. Stupidly got my pbass with rounds out and my finger started hurting within 10 minutes!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 41Hz said:

I switched to my jazz with flats and my sore finger was pretty much gone by Sunday morning. Stupidly got my pbass with rounds out and my finger started hurting within 10 minutes!

I'm quite surprised how well the flats work on my Sandberg within a 70's Glam Rock covers band. So much so that my next set for my Jazz will be LaBella low tension flats as well. Virtually no fret rattles and so easy to glide your fingers along the strings without getting blisters and aches.

Maybe i just need to harden up :laugh1: but i'm really liking the tone i'm getting from them. Hopefully its not the novelty factor of flats tho. 

Dave

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dmccombe7 said:

I'm quite surprised how well the flats work on my Sandberg within a 70's Glam Rock covers band. So much so that my next set for my Jazz will be LaBella low tension flats as well. Virtually no fret rattles and so easy to glide your fingers along the strings without getting blisters and aches.

Maybe i just need to harden up :laugh1: but i'm really liking the tone i'm getting from them. Hopefully its not the novelty factor of flats tho. 

Dave

I always think rounds sound better than flats when I’m playing at home at low volume, flats sound a bit compressed and “flat”, however the magic seems to happen when you play in a band context and they just sound really good, even with the rockier stuff

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 41Hz said:

I always think rounds sound better than flats when I’m playing at home at low volume, flats sound a bit compressed and “flat”, however the magic seems to happen when you play in a band context and they just sound really good, even with the rockier stuff

Was good enough for Gary Thain with Uriah Heep then i'm happy to try them. I only ever used them on fretless basses in 80's.

Dave

• 2 years later...

I have had this problem twice before myself, with FLATWOUNDS. I just got another this morning and googled it to see if anyone else has had this problem.  Having worked in paint and body shops for 27 years I have had hundreds of metal “splinters”  from swarf or the grinder. And the ones off super fine steel wool are really painful and painfully small. You can’t see them but they normally work their way out. Don’t dig around in your skin because you will make it worse. Being heavy handed on bends as a beginner was how I got the first one but that was a long time ago. Looking on the web for advice, because although I have never heard of anyone else having this problem, I have seen people play with a gloved hand??  There seems to be a lot of gibberish, people being rude to each other about ghost splinters and nerve damage and the likes. 😳SAD😳I have only personally had this problem with the cheaper flat wounds on bass, my guitar had never hurt me 😂 

3 hours ago, Andy68 said:

I have seen people play with a gloved hand

You’ll be thinking of Scott Devine from Scott’s Bass Lessons… nothing whatsoever to do with this. He wears it to help with a neurological condition that makes his hands shake - Focal Dystonia. The glove sends lots of signals to his nervous system from all the nerves in the skin in his hand and somehow fools the brain into not trembling his hand.

• Like 1

I think my problem is a sensitive nerve ending that has come more to the surface as my skin gets thinner with age. 

Now that i'm gigging more and my fingertips are hardening up again i dont notice it so much. I did get it once today at a 6hr rehearsal tho.

I'm using D'addario XT 45-100's at the moment but i get this with any type of string.

I do find i get it more when i play hard or dig in with my plucking hand as i automatically seem to press the strings harder with my fretting hand at same time.

If i play lighter which i'm doing more these days its not so bad.  Also using my fingernails on plucking hand a lot more too. Getting a nice edge without hitting strings so hard.

Dave