Why become a member? ×

Sore fingertip, splinter from string??

41Hz

I was practicing last night and got a sudden sharp pain in my fingertip. It feels exactly like I have a splinter and is still sore this morning when I touch the end of the finger.

I fitted new strings a few days ago and when it happened I was doing a string bend. I’m wondering if it dislodged a metal shard from the string. I’ve done a bit of googling and found something referred to as phantom splinters for players of stringed instruments where the finger callous pinches a nerve. As it happened so quickly and I have new strings I’m thinking it is more likely a real splinter.

Anyone else had this? It’s so sensitive I’m going to have to cancel band practice tonight.

• Sad 1

Ouch! Hope it heals quickly. Never had a splinter / shard from strings before.  Just wondering what make / brand of strings they are?

Of course, it may not have been from the strings at all.....
One thing is for sure though - I'd get that magnifying glass, and get it sorted - otherwise, if you've a tiny, shapr particle sat there under your skin - it will continue to cause you a problem until it's sorted

Via the Double bass section of this fine forum - I came across a product called "Double Bass Finger Tape"
Does exactly what you'd expect from the title, but I usually carry a roll of it around in my gigbag. It works very well for cuts and abrasions.
I've even had a piece of it on a right hand finger-tip, and been able to play. I gave a piece to a guitarist I was in a band with once. He had a nasty injury and thought he wouldn't be able to play a gig - but this tape saved the day. It stays on really well - even after you've washed your hands, and all other plasters would have fallen off!

Of course, it may not work, depending on exactly where your splinter is - but then again, it may help

Re my post above, this is the stuff. I got my roll from eBay
I've tried to find the equivalent material, but all the hospital / surgical tapes I've tried, aren't quite as durable as this
Some of them are nowhere near as good / durable

As per the picture on the packet - you really can play with this tape on your fingers :o

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Double-Bass-Finger-Tape/323942926881?hash=item4b6c80ca21:g:IcQAAOSwGlZdneX8

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Marc S said:

Re my post above, this is the stuff. I got my roll from eBay
I've tried to find the equivalent material, but all the hospital / surgical tapes I've tried, aren't quite as durable as this
Some of them are nowhere near as good / durable

As per the picture on the packet - you really can play with this tape on your fingers :o

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Double-Bass-Finger-Tape/323942926881?hash=item4b6c80ca21:g:IcQAAOSwGlZdneX8

This is good stuff. I have a roll in the gigbag for EUB playing, because I tend to get blisters when I haven't played a lot for a while and suddenly get a gig. This will definitely get me through.

Strings are D’addario EXL170BT nickel wound. I’m not sure tape will work as it seems to be any pressure on the skin that causes the issue. Just tried dipping my finger in PVA glue and peeling it off but that didn’t work. Now icing it and taking ibuprofen. Had another look with a magnifying glass but can’t see anything.

Probably a nerve issue rather than a splinter.  I've very occasionally had something similar, and the solution has been to ignore it and it goes away after a day or two

And it seems we're not alone:

https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/viewtopic.php?t=24109

Precis for those without the will to read it all, it does seem to be something that afflicts people on their fretting finger, with one guy who went to a doctor known for treating musicians being told that the doctor has seen it in violinists, but not guitarists (until then). Though I don't necessarily buy the doctor's theory about it being the inside of a callous growing inwards and hitting a nerve...

Edited by Monkey Steve
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 41Hz said:

I was practicing last night and got a sudden sharp pain in my fingertip. It feels exactly like I have a splinter and is still sore this morning when I touch the end of the finger.

Have you been handling fibreglass at all? I used to get this occasionally in my model-making days when using a fibreglass pencil for burnishing surfaces to be soldered. A wee splinter can be horribly painful and very difficult to see, as it'll be transparent. I'd check with a strong magnifying class under a strong light against a dark background. Pull the skin taut and see if anything appears to be sticking out.

If you do have a splinter, you'll need a good pair of tweezers to remove it.

2 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I had this a while ago, I thought it was a splinter as it was very tender to touch when I fretted a note , but no sign of anything , it went away on it’s own after about 4 weeks 🙂

4 weeks! I hope it doesn’t last that long, did you have to stop playing, mine is too sore to play

Yes, I've had something similar while rehearsing. It felt exactly as though a metal splinter was sticking into my middle finger (fretting hand). After reading this thread, I think it might have been a 'phantom splinter' experience. Luckily for me, it was fine the next day. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 41Hz said:

phantom splinters

7 hours ago, cheddatom said:

I'd never heard of phantom splinters before but I've definitely had them!

6 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I had this a while ago, I thought it was a splinter as it was very tender to touch when I fretted a note , but no sign of anything , it went away on it’s own after about 4 weeks 🙂

6 hours ago, Teebs said:

I've had this - very sharp pain when I put pressure on it.

Like with @Reggaebass, it went after a while.

Hope it clears up soon smiley

4 hours ago, seashell said:

Yes, I've had something similar while rehearsing. It felt exactly as though a metal splinter was sticking into my middle finger (fretting hand). After reading this thread, I think it might have been a 'phantom splinter' experience. Luckily for me, it was fine the next day. 

Yes.  I've had this on occasion too.  I always check under magnification because it feels so real but I never find anything.

It usually goes after a day or two.

6 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I’ve not had a splinter from a string. What I do get quite a lot is a split in the end of my thumb near the nail which is quite painful when planting on the top of the pick-up. My thoughts if you do have a splinter, especially from a string, is that it should be invisible with a magnifying glass. Problem is, if you have any gigs this weekend, I wouldn’t recommend digging it out with a needle just yet.

I’ve got that at the moment.

8D1035E2-752D-4194-A745-BF19C2966429.jpeg

8 minutes ago, steantval said:

I’ve got that at the moment.

8D1035E2-752D-4194-A745-BF19C2966429.jpeg

As a fellow sufferer, this is the best stuff I've found.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OKeeffes-Working-Hands-Hand-Cream/dp/B00121UVU0

It definitely helps with the discomfort and it seems to help the split heal quicker than just leaving it alone.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

+1 for O’Keefe’s, but I tend to use Bepanthen which is a nappy rash cream. I dunno what it’s got in it, but it must be something akin to Pixie Dust - it’s that good!

Sudocrem , is also very good for minor skin problems. 

• Thanks 1