Why become a member? ×

My new CIJ Jazz bass.

Magnolia

Well after my early retirement and then my dramatic comeback from early retirement (the burning desire to play overcome me) I bought a lovey new Fender non export CIJ '62 reissue Jazz bass. This has to be one of the most difficult buys i have ever made mainly because of being so spoilt for choice.

Anyway, i bought this Jazz bass yesterday. Its finished in Vintage White, with a matching headstock. Alder body, maple neck with a rosewood fretboard which has a lovely grain to it and US Pickups. The serial dates it to 2005/06. Altho it is completely spotless as if its never been played, still has the plastic on the pickguard. The neck is lovely and slim, as much so as my Geddy Lee. It also has white binding on the neck which I was suprised to see. Pluged in it sounds exactly like a '62 jazz should.

Here are some pics (taken with my cam phone so not the best quallity)

Nick

Edited by Magnolia

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='39908' date='Aug 1 2007, 11:14 AM']That's a lovely looking jazzer, Magnolia! Are you going to baddass/j-retro it? Did you import it, or get it from the Guitar Emporium? Seems a lot are going Japanese at the moment. I've just ordered a Geddy Lee japanese jazz :)[/quote]

I will more than likely Badass it, but im not sure about a J-retro just yet. I have tried the active jazz route and it wasnt really my cup of tea, but i can only base that on my experience with the Marcus Miller pre amp that fender do. I might buy one next month and see how it goes. Well done on the Geddy by the way I love mine.

I was looking at the import route and had a few emails with Ishibashi, but John at www.fareastguitars.co.uk said he was expecting this in and as soon as I saw the pics I knew I wanted it. I went to his lastnight and played it for about 30 seconds then bought it.

Nick

Edited by Magnolia

This isn't a 62 - it's their version of a '65. And it works just fine without a Badass (or active electronics)! One nice modification is replacing the tuners with oval HB2's. (A spiral bridge is another nice mod.)

[quote name='Magnolia' post='39914' date='Aug 1 2007, 11:18 AM']I will more than likely Badass it, but im not sure about a J-retro just yet. I have tried the active jazz route and it wasnt really my cup of tea, but i can only base that on my experience with the Marcus Miller pre amp that fender do. I might buy one next month and see how it goes. Well done on the Geddy by the way I love mine.

I was looking at the import route and had a few emails with Ishibashi, but John at www.fareastguitars.co.uk said he was expecting this in and as soon as I saw the pics I knew I wanted it. I went to his lastnight and played it for about 30 seconds then bought it.

Nick[/quote]

[quote name='BB2000' post='39926' date='Aug 1 2007, 11:42 AM']This isn't a 62 - it's their version of a '65. And it works just fine without a Badass (or active electronics)! One nice modification is replacing the tuners with oval HB2's. (A spiral bridge is another nice mod.)[/quote]

I was thinking it was modeled on an older version because of the binding. It does have a spiral bridge too.

Nick

I've one of these basses lying here. I ordered it for a friend the last time I ordered a few Jap Fenders from Japan, and he then changed his mind. I should really sell it, but it has suck a nicely figured maple neck I haven't been able to let it go ..

By the way, Wymore guitars have the oval hipshots in stock at the moment (they can be quite difficult to get hold of).

[quote name='Magnolia' post='39937' date='Aug 1 2007, 12:05 PM']I was thinking it was modeled on an older version because of the binding. It does have a spiral bridge too.

Nick[/quote]

Edited by BB2000

It looks even better in the flesh. Now i have had a chance to play it some more im getting the sounds i want from it. Its not normally the sound i'd go for. It has that old school 'honk' to it when you dig in over the bridge pickup. Im gonna keep it all original, no mods at all. I think they would just spoil the vibe.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...