Why become a member? ×

A proper Head-case!

Painy

I really love the classic look of the Ashdown CTM300 head but unfortunately it's just not in my price range at the moment. To tide me over until I can save up a couple of grand, I decided that I'd try to at least achieve the look of the amp even if I can't get the sound of it right now. 

I've spent my spare time over the last week building this new case from scratch for my ABM 500rc Evo iii and I'm really pleased with the result so thought I'd share it here. 🙂

IMG_20191106_181508.jpg

IMG_20191106_182035.jpg

IMG_20191106_182053.jpg

Edited by Painy
  • Like 19

3 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Nice work. You should go into business, building old school sleeves/cases for those of us who use modern class D jobbies and want the vintage look.

To be honest, as much as I love the sound of that, there's a fair amount of bodging under the surface! 😄

I did have fun doing it though so maybe. 🤔

3 minutes ago, doomed said:

Looks great, I'd like a case for my Head of Doom just to save having to have it in a rack case, if it had a nice wood/tolex sleeve like the ABM,  so you could just buy a slip cover to go over it, it would be perfect.

It is a bit strange that tolexed rack sleeves seem so hard to come by or are really expensive if you do find them. 

I reckon the sleeve that Aguilar make for the the DB751 would probably fit the Head of Doom but at $199 (and possibly plus shipping and import duty from the US if they're not available over here) it's a pretty expensive option. 

16 hours ago, Painy said:

To be honest, as much as I love the sound of that, there's a fair amount of bodging under the surface! 😄

I did have fun doing it though so maybe. 🤔

I've been sketching out a case like this to house my Markbass F1 for years, i'll probably never get round to though so buying something appeals to me! 

my thoughts have usually included an easily replaceable front panel and an open back so that it could be modified to fit a different head if needed. and the whole thing sized to fit perfectly on my Barefaced Midgets

Matt

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got to take this to a gig for the first time last night (we'd had to cancel all our gigs through November because our singer developed an abcess on his tonsil). I also decided to try a little experiment running my big rig and my little rig together. 

Anyway, I posted up a picture on Facebook and got a share by none other than Mr Mark Gooday himself. 🙂

Screenshot_20191201_000525_com.facebook.katana.jpg

• Like 3

On 06/11/2019 at 19:44, Painy said:

I really love the classic look of the Ashdown CTM300 head but unfortunately it's just not in my price range at the moment. To tide me over until I can save up a couple of grand, I decided that I'd try to at least achieve the look of the amp even if I can't get the sound of it right now. 

I've spent my spare time over the last week building this new case from scratch for my ABM 500rc Evo iii and I'm really pleased with the result so thought I'd share it here. 🙂

IMG_20191106_181508.jpg

IMG_20191106_182035.jpg

IMG_20191106_182053.jpg

Nice, Jeff Ament did a similar thing not long ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1