Why become a member? ×

NBD 2010 CV 60's Jazz

krispn

13 minutes ago, Jono Bolton said:

I'd only heard the name but never heard the pickups themselves. A lot of people were buying CVs and immediately ripping out the pickups and a lot of the hardware (mostly massive virgins on guitar forums) and then it became a widespread semi-fact that they were Toneriders. .

Cool semi-info. I would assume, like in my case, the pups were taken out because they weren't to ones liking, in which case I'd say Tonerider pups are nothing special, especially because 1, ive never heard of them, and 2, i didnt like them. 

Same goes for my CVP, although not quite as much as the Jazz. 

Some NJ4 pick ups came available on BC so I've nabbed them, they've arrived and I've installed them. I'd say a bit more bottom over the originals and just make a good sounding bass more Jazz like. Look forward to hearing them into the amp tomorrow night.

• Like 2

I know, I know me again....

So I've had the jazz bass into the amp for some volume based noodling with the new pick ups. I'd say there is familiar tone coming out of the bass but with some added oomph. When I last owned a jazz I had Model J's in it and I really enjoyed the P-like mids they brought and it suited what I was doing back then ( one elec guitar, one acoustic and bass). I tweaked the pick up heights  - finally got a decent ruler which has helped with accuracy rather than just eyeballing and ears which I've used previously.

This time I was after a more traditional J sound and I think these 60's voiced NJ4's have that in abundance. IMO the stock pick ups were a bit harsh on the top end for me. The NJ4's have more in the lows and a more refined, in it's truest sense, rather than tamed top end. I'm no fan of super zingy (or active eq). I know where I like to set my eq/tone control to mange that 'top' but I do appreciate that a part of the jazz bass magic is the 'both pick ups on, tone wide open'. I hear these pick ups being a bit better suited to what I prefer before eq. I am aware that the strings are still quite new and this top end may naturally tame over time but I'll be whacking some flats on for further noodling this afternoon.

I would like to hear the Aguilar 60's wind in this bass too and if some become available used I'll try them but as for now this NJ4 pair are a good match.

Stock pick ups to be listed later!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krispn said:

IMO the stock pick ups were a bit harsh on the top end for me.

Now you mention it, thats exactly how i felt about them. They did the job for a few gigs, but i felt the bass sounded 'cheap' somehow. Lacked body and depth, just a bit, but enough to bug me. At the time i also had a HW-1 Jazz, so had something to compare to.

I got a set of Wizard 84's, but found them a bit dark sounding. Andy took them back and made me a set of 74's (which i believe were custom order only). Had those in the bass right up until earlier this year, when i got the Fender CS set.

Would you say the CS had more bottom over the 74's? My understanding is the CS are over wound 60's spec. The 70's style uses a different wire/winding which translates as more mid forward/reduced lows type sound. A workable sound but slightly different to what I was after in this one.

2 hours ago, krispn said:

Would you say the CS had more bottom over the 74's? My understanding is the CS are over wound 60's spec. The 70's style uses a different wire/winding which translates as more mid forward/reduced lows type sound. A workable sound but slightly different to what I was after in this one.

Hmm, hard to say as i hadnt used my CV Jazz for almost a year before changing the pups (i did it on a whim), but i would say the CS pups have a warmer tone, more polite at the very top end but still with loads of clarity.