Why become a member? ×

NBD 2010 CV 60's Jazz

krispn

Honestly, my take on pickups is that the height makes a huge difference. I’ve used lots of replacement pickups - the Fender CS 60’s were a particular favourite - but getting the height right is something that is often neglected, and makes a huge difference. 

I still need to get mine to Chris McIntyre to sort out the high fret. Ah well. 

5 minutes ago, funkle said:

Honestly, my take on pickups is that the height makes a huge difference. I’ve used lots of replacement pickups - the Fender CS 60’s were a particular favourite - but getting the height right is something that is often neglected, and makes a huge difference. 

I still need to get mine to Chris McIntyre to sort out the high fret. Ah well. 

Agreed. It took me a few rehearsals to get the balance just how i want it, but from the start i felt the CS pups gave me a tone I'd been looking for since i got the Jazz. Certainly it now sounds better to my ears than any other Jazz ive had. 

• Like 1

I think the 60’s winds are meant to be quite open and some seem to have a nice bottom low mids thing. I’m pushing that freq area with a tone hammer but if I can get something voiced that way perfect. I’ve done a basic set up on the cv since getting it but haven’t changed pick up height. Gonna make some measurements before stripping the body for the respray so I’ll experiment then. Good call

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, krispn said:

I think the 60’s winds are meant to be quite open and some seem to have a nice bottom low mids thing. I’m pushing that freq area with a tone hammer but if I can get something voiced that way perfect. I’ve done a basic set up on the cv since getting it but haven’t changed pick up height. Gonna make some measurements before stripping the body for the respray so I’ll experiment then. Good call

I play with a pick and struggle with tone. Just cant get away from certain traits that pick playing has, but the CS pups seems to be very sympathetic to my playing style. Probably just a placebo effect owing to the fact that the pups cost so much, but the bass does seem warmer and clearer, without having too much up top.

I tend to stick to Fender's spec when it comes to set ups, and then tweak as needed. Most of the time i dont need to. I also have the neck shimmed and this really makes the action feel better for me. This bass has been used as a beater bass, with different necks and bridges etc, its the bass that has had the most mods, but its at a stage where its just perfect.

Now if only i didnt have a £1300 bass sitting in a gig bag not getting played......

• Like 1

Yeah I’m not a massive fan of super zingy top end and since adding the new pots/loom the tone control is working as hoped. For me rolling tone back bit and a touch off the back pick up (5-10%) is enough to remove enough zing and colour the sound but still get that jazz thing if I dig in or need to throw the thumb at it for any reason

• Like 1

Wasn't there a consensus a while ago that Squier were putting Tonerider pickups in the CV series? From my (admittedly limited) experience, Tonerider are in a similar league to Wilkinson - i.e., the "Hardware That Really Shouldn't Sound As Good As It Does At That Price Point" category. I imagine you could do a lot worse than to keep them where they are.

Looks nice with the green refin, by the way!

I’m actually happy with the bass as it sounds but it’s the lure that something else may be better but I’ll certainly not make any changes until the new year if I do go that route. I’ll just tell folks I’ve put in some unheard of esoteric brand and no one will be any the wiser. 

The green has turned out as hoped (phew) but I’ll likely need to touch it up. The back is a bit patchy but not overly concerned for now out of sight out of mind. 

pretty straightforward to do if anyone was thinking about it. 

17 minutes ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

Wasn't there a consensus a while ago that Squier were putting Tonerider pickups in the CV series? From my (admittedly limited) experience, Tonerider are in a similar league to Wilkinson - i.e., the "Hardware That Really Shouldn't Sound As Good As It Does At That Price Point" category. I imagine you could do a lot worse than to keep them where they are.

Looks nice with the green refin, by the way!

This is an original CV, is that what you are referring to, or the new, lesser CV range?

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I almost bought a sherwood green classic vibe strat, it was pretty tempting, I also have never been a fan of the colour before but it looked right

I kinda think that the combination of the PG on krispn's bass, with the white edge, is what makes the green work for me.

Sherwood Green is a sleeper colour. You don’t think you like it but then you behold it’s beauty. Relic’d Sherwood is even better!

Having had the neck off this is a 2008 model not that it makes a difference but it is playable. I also took the lacquer off the neck to suit me. Feels great!

Edited by krispn

23 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

This is an original CV, is that what you are referring to, or the new, lesser CV range?

The original Chinese CVs were supposedly made in the same factory as Tonerider pickups, and there was talk on a forum somewhere of a Fender rep confirming that they were using unbranded Toneriders in the Classic Vibes. 

1 hour ago, Jono Bolton said:

The original Chinese CVs were supposedly made in the same factory as Tonerider pickups, and there was talk on a forum somewhere of a Fender rep confirming that they were using unbranded Toneriders in the Classic Vibes. 

Never heard this before. Not disclaiming it, but its the first time ive heard about it. Are these good pups then? Never heard of them either lol. 

On 19/11/2019 at 16:54, dave_bass5 said:

Never heard this before. Not disclaiming it, but its the first time ive heard about it. Are these good pups then? Never heard of them either lol. 

I'd only heard the name but never heard the pickups themselves. A lot of people were buying CVs and immediately ripping out the pickups and a lot of the hardware (mostly massive virgins on guitar forums) and then it became a widespread semi-fact that they were Toneriders. I think that includes the other Chinese-made signature models, like Biffy Clyro Strat & Jazz, and Matt Freeman P Bass. I've never bothered my derrière to look and see what it is but the pickup in my Matt Freeman is tremendous.