Why become a member? ×

NBD 2010 CV 60's Jazz

krispn

I got a cracking bargain on this bass off a local guy who was shifting a load of unused gear. It needed a clean and some new strings but otherwise was set up well and all electronics are fully working if a little crap on account of being cheap parts. The stock pick up's sound grand and have that jazz bass thing especially with the new strings. Gonna change the wiring loom to some better pots with a proper 'sweep' across their range rather than 'on on on on on on off' but otherwise I'm quite chuffed. I'll be using it at rehearsal tonight and tomorrow with two different bands so looking forward to hearing it at volume!

Plugging into my pedal board, (Tone Hammer DI and comppressor) the Tone Hammer it's really complimenting the sound and of course the new strings are adding to the crisp top end. I've tried a couple of other pre-amps with it but this is a great pairing for this particular bass - bumping the lo mids is giving it the right amount of oomph and I look forward to fine tuning that with the drummer later tonight. Been about 6 years since I've owned/played a jazz and it's a very familiar and enjoyable tone for £120! Certainly prefer this to a recent PJ i was using but hard to qualify why?!

5AC24B73-8C30-480D-89C0-8BB6259CDDFC.jpeg

Edited by krispn
  • Like 6

Ive got one of these as well, along with a CVP Fiesta Red. Got it new when they first came out. Probably the best Jazz ive ever owned, and definitely the best neck ive ever played. In fact the neck has been on a few other basses over the years. Ive brought and sold other Jazz basses, but the CV just seems to get the tone and feel i wanted.

Currently mine has Fender CS jazz pups in it, but has had Wizard 74's almost since day one. I also have a Gotoh 201 bridge on it as at one point i had a Lakland JO neck on it (still got the neck somewhere) and needed to raise the saddles (also shimmed). I wanted a maple neck and this was going cheap.

Oh, and i have a fully wired control plate that i got from Kigon. Other than the above, its pretty much stock lol.

13 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Ive got one of these as well, along with a CVP Fiesta Red. Got it new when they first came out. Probably the best Jazz ive ever owned, and definitely the best neck ive ever played. In fact the neck has been on a few other basses over the years. Ive brought and sold other Jazz basses, but the CV just seems to get the tone and feel i wanted.

Currently mine has Fender CS jazz pups in it, but has had Wizard 74's almost since day one. I also have a Gotoh 201 bridge on it as at one point i had a Lakland JO neck on it (still got the neck somewhere) and needed to raise the saddles (also shimmed). I wanted a maple neck and this was going cheap.

Oh, and i have a fully wired control plate that i got from Kigon. Other than the above, its pretty much stock lol.

Sounds like Trigger's broom Dave.

• Haha 3

Yeah just installed one if John’s kits today. The jury is still out on changing the pick ups I like how these sound and I’ll see if the new VVT pots make a difference at rehearsal tonight. Pairing it with the TH with just a touch of AGS gain is a very nice match. I used to play a jazz 6-7years back both 4 and 5 string (Lakland JO5 in fact) so it’s a very familiar tone and feel. The neck is great and I may take the lacquer off which I’ve done on my PBird and it feel great finished with Danish Oil. 
I have an idea for a pick up pairing either the new Nordstrand Split 51 in the neck and hum cancelling NJ4 in the bridge or a pair of Creamery 60’s wind but I’ll give the bass a few months gigging before I do anything. 

If that Lakland neck shows up get in touch as I do like the JO4 neck. Is it RW/M and a good fit?

Edited by krispn
  • Like 1

I dont want to part with the neck, as its been very handy over the years and probably impossible to come across another. The person i got it from had taken the logo off as he was doing a custom build, but never finished it .I saw the paperwork for the neck though.  I wanted something that had the same type of frets as the CV basses, but with a maple fretboard. Its a bit dirty in this shot, as i gigged it almost every weekend for a couple of years.

16684274982_455efa2907_c.jpg.ba232e2832efa15b6be432212c8430be.jpg

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 2

On 06/11/2019 at 19:38, DannyBrerro said:

I’m convinced classic vibe basses from around that time are going to be future classics, they’re a nightmare to get hold of already. Considering how many of them must have been produced in the first place they come up for sale quite rarely!

Possibly like the JVs?

Great basses - I've got one in Inca Silver that I've been gigging stock. I actually bought it in the car park of a venue and walked straight onstage with it. Luckily it was a good one! 

I think changing the pots out is a good shout as the sweep on mine is fairly pathetic. I'm not entirely sold on the pickups but want to give it a few more shows to bed in before I decide whether it's crap pickups or something else in my chain not quite getting it there for me. 

Maybe an external preamp to bolster the bass? I have used a couple and I think the 18v of the Tone Hammer offers a bit more but a recently acquired Alien Audio preamp works really well just with a different vibe. It’s a very musical pre and I may switch them over the coming gigs to see if it’s significantly making a difference to me. I’d post in the pedal board thread but I’d literally be posting the exact same thing every time only switching back and forth between one or t’other 😀

3 hours ago, ClassicVibes said:

1031953568_14SquierJazz.thumb.jpg.10fde5e2242afbc4b1298a11be918a6c.jpg

I have a 2014 MIC Classic Vibe 60s Jazz in Inca Silver and it's an awesome bass. The neck is so nice to play and the bass is very well put together. Threw on a new set of DR Fat Beams earlier this week and it just sings. 

Mine runs DR's as well, and yes sings like a singy thing.

I still have my Squier CV Jazz that I bought new. I think I got it in 2009. Or 2010. 

Its going strong and sounds great. Stock pickups, stock electronics. The only problem I have is needing to reseat the 20th fret a little - it’s finally lifted a little after many years of play. I’ll take it to a tech soon. 

Otherwise, it’s been a great investment. I spent many years on it learning when I went to music school. It’s my ‘beater’ bass now for a while. I love it. I never have to worry about it. Even though it’s signed by Jeff Berlin, lol. 

• Like 1

Yeah I'm still a bit torn over replacing the pick ups but it's early days yet. As I said it's a familiar sound of a jazz and the contrast to what I have is fun but listening to a few examples online - always a terrible idea - some are standing out as being a perceived improvement over what I have/what I'm after from this little gem. I had Model J's in my last jazz but I think I'd like this to be a bit more traditional. I'm unlikely to be solo'ing the bridge and like the 60's vibe over the 70's vibe.

The Aguilar 60's wind and the Fender CS60's are working for my taste plus I've been strongly advised to try Creamery jazz pick up's. So much choice and I may find myself giving them all a shot at some point. I know total folly!