Why become a member? ×

SOLD, all gone! Speaker cables, Neutrik vs Jack

GreeneKing

I have let all my good, OBBM Neutrik to Neutrik speaker cables go with amps and cabs I have sold a while back. I'm left with 2 or 3 heavy duty OBBM 'Rock-Wire' Neutric to jack cables and a skinny generic double Neutrik lead.

I'm thinking that now I've got a rig together again I need to invest in a pair of decent double Neutrik ended cables from Dave and put the others up for sale.

But, aren't the ones with the jack on one end just as good? Is there any real advantage to Neutrik connectors over a simple jack on the cab end, given that movement isn't an issue?

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

But seriously I use Speakons over 1/4" jacks, they're more secure and robust which is what I want with cables carrying a signal from an amp. I've met tons of people who use the cheapest junk speaker leads with flimsy 1/4" jacks though, I bought various used Obbm Speakon cables off here ages ago and it was a good investment.

• Like 1

https://www.mouser.com/pdfdocs/CAT-AUDIO-Plugs.pdf

Jacks are rated at 10Amps.

I use both Jack & Speakon connectors for speaker cables.

The most important detail is the cable clamping on Jacks for speaker cables. The thicker speaker wires take more soldering expertise and I always insulate between the live and return lugs with a small strip of insulation tape on Jacks.

I choose Speakon over Jacks as they are I think  more robust. They are easier to make up too.

Tripping over a speaker cable on stage could topple the speaker with Speakon cables. With Jacks it just pulls the jack out. That's the only disadvantage with Speakons so I try to leave some slack and tape down the cables which one should do anyway, H&S and all that.

Edited by grandad
  • Like 1

On 09/11/2019 at 12:55, grandad said:

https://www.mouser.com/pdfdocs/CAT-AUDIO-Plugs.pdf

Jacks are rated at 10Amps.

I use both Jack & Speakon connectors for speaker cables.

The most important detail is the cable clamping on Jacks for speaker cables. The thicker speaker wires take more soldering expertise and I always insulate between the live and return lugs with a small strip of insulation tape on Jacks.

I choose Speakon over Jacks as the are I think they are more robust. They are easier to make up too.

Tripping over a speaker cable on stage could topple the speaker with Speakon cables. With Jacks it just pulls the jack out. That's the only disadvantage with Speakons so I try to leave some slack and tape down the cables which one should do anyway, H&S and all that.

I do agree but the thing is that all Speakons are rated at 20 amps whereas some jacks are rated at 500mA. Also it is almost impossible to short circuit a Speakon whereas a Jack is easy.

If electric guitars were invented now, no one would consider using jacks for either speakers or instruments. 

Edited by Chienmortbb
typos
  • Like 3