Why become a member? ×

Best tracking analogue octaver/sub pedal

nash

There are two aspects to how well an octave tracks:

- how low it tracks before glitching;

- how tightly it tracks (minimal latency).

Analogue octave pedals generally tend to be pretty tight (and as compared to digital, which typically have greater latency). So are you mainly focusing on the first aspect? 

And then there is the question of how the pedal sounds e.g OC2 vs Octamizer for two broad camps, and what you're looking to use it for. E.g.:

- thickening up your sound by layering along with your clean; or

- providing a synth tone of solo sub + filter + drive?

So what is going to be a good recommendation will very much depend on your key focus. 

• Like 1

I use the MXR bass octave deluxe and never had an issue.  The tracking is fast and articulate.  It's first in my pedal chain and works well with J and P basses.

I would say to just give the pedal as clean a signal as you can.  I always run my volume up full, can vary on the J bass but one of the volumes is always up full.  They also say to avoid open strings but I've never had too much of a problem.  I wouldn't go below the B or C either.  Gets too mushy and undefined if you go too low.  

• Like 1

All the analog one's I've tried have had undetectable latency and they've all tracked fairly miserably below ~Ab and were sensitive to deadspots - you really have to 'play the effect'. The Emma Okto Nojs is somewhat better in this respect, but ultimately I preferred the sound of the Boss OC2. I wouldn't sell the ON though. I've found the benefits of a compressor in front hard to confirm - although I do this anyway for other reasons. However, if you clip the OC2, you can get some nasty thumps. This happens most often with my Stingray, so I assume it's frequency dependent, since my P Bass is actually louder. The comp does help in this respect - I just dial back the output a bit. Of the digital pedals, I found the latency of the Sub N Up to be a deal breaker and I currently use a Boss PS6 BUT, unity gain / 100% octave down is definitely on the quiet side perceptually. This may be due to roll off by the speakers or the human ear of course! Both of these pedals track very well. 

A lot of this will depend on what you are using the pedal for. The OC2 is a synth component in my rig. The PS6 I use in lieu of a 5 string and always in parallel with a distortion pedal. This definitely masks the latency and allows me to balance the levels and boost it downstream. Consider the application first.

Edited by radiophonic

Zoom MS-60B has a pitch shift which does super work in the octave department. Before you tut, shake your head and dismiss it for being too cheap to be worth considering, just hang on. You might not care for my opinion but how about the legend that is @Dood?  Scroll to 13.46 and hear what he has to say.