Why become a member? ×

Bass tuition in Edinburgh?

mcnach

My girlfriend plays bass a little.

She would like to take some lessons to help her progress... but although I personally know a couple of people that I think would be perfect, she says it can't be someone I know. I tried to teach her some things, and it's ok to teach her how a song goes etc, but the minute we start talking about notes she gets a bit frustrated and defensive and we don't get far. She thinks that with a complete stranger it would be easier for her to get on with it. She is very shy to play in front of people she knows too.

That makes it complicated because how do I know who is suitable if it's got to be someone I don't know? :)

We'll have to go by reviews etc, so she asked me if I could ask here.

And here I am.

Does anyone have any suggestions? She can play only a tiny bit, so I'd say we're looking at pretty much beginner level.

Anywhere in Edinburgh works. Central is good. Dalry/Gorgie/Sighthill/Broomhouse better. Portobello best. But anywhere in town works really.

40 minutes ago, Crawford13 said:

Lawrie MacMillan is the guy you want. He is an incredible player and teacher.

He teaches out of Rosyth, it would be well worth the travel.

He is a member here @lawriemacmillan

Hmm, she doesn't drive, but I do rehearse in Rosyth so it might be possible to combine both our "bassinesses"... Thank you for the heads up.

• Like 1

Just a suggestion why not try youtube, there's tons of theory, songs tuition ect….I went for 3 lessons many years ago with a Jazz Bassist and found it a tad boring....I learnt more from books ect, then youtube there is so much on there....Mark Smith is very good easy to follow tabbed out stuff.

20 hours ago, mcnach said:

Hmm, she doesn't drive, but I do rehearse in Rosyth so it might be possible to combine both our "bassinesses"... Thank you for the heads up.

Ah. I was going to suggest Al James but he's right out in the sticks at Tranent so driving (or picking up and dropping off) would be essential. But he is on your side of Edinburgh.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, thebigyin said:

Just a suggestion why not try youtube, there's tons of theory, songs tuition ect….I went for 3 lessons many years ago with a Jazz Bassist and found it a tad boring....I learnt more from books ect, then youtube there is so much on there....Mark Smith is very good easy to follow tabbed out stuff.

That approach works for me. I have taken a few lessons in person, but I've learnt a lot by myself with books/videos.

She is not the kind who thrives on self-teaching. She really wants a human, live, in person, to teach her.

11 hours ago, lozkerr said:

Ah. I was going to suggest Al James but he's right out in the sticks at Tranent so driving (or picking up and dropping off) would be essential. But he is on your side of Edinburgh.

Tranent is not bad, from Portobello. 

I know an Al James, guitarist... but he's in Galashiels! :)

Do you have personal experience with Tranent's Al James?

5 hours ago, mcnach said:

That approach works for me. I have taken a few lessons in person, but I've learnt a lot by myself with books/videos.

She is not the kind who thrives on self-teaching. She really wants a human, live, in person, to teach her.

Fair comment best of luck

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mcnach said:

Do you have personal experience with Tranent's Al James?

Yes - he's my tutor and currently weaning me off my 4.5/4 time signature habit. Good guy, very patient and professional. Here's his website:

https://aljamesmusic.co.uk/

Probably best to drop him a line and suggest an introductory session, just to see how he and your girlfriend get on.

• Thanks 1

I know Lawrie Macmillan.

He is very tall, dark and handsome, and up until recently drove an Alfa Romeo.

If, after a significant amount of lessons, for some unexplained reason, your girlfriend's bass playing is not getting any better. I would suggest you get her to to swop to a uglier, fatter, possibly with bad halitosis, bass tutor. :)

Edited by gjones
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, gjones said:

I know Lawrie Macmillan.

He is very tall, dark and handsome, and up until recently drove an Alfa Romeo.

If, after a significant amount of lessons, for some unexplained reason, your girlfriend's bass playing is not getting any better. I would suggest you get her to to swop to a uglier, fatter, possibly with bad halitosis, bass tutor. :)

As he also owns a Fodera worth my year's pension you may find him a tad dear, or as noted above, interesting .  "So what first attracted you to the tall dark handsome man with an Alfa Romeo and eyewateringly expensive (and very pretty ) bass?" :)

Edited by lownote12

11 hours ago, Skybone said:

There's always asking your bass-playing pals if they know anyone.

What do you think I am doing here? ;) I don't have any bass playing pals, I AM THE ONLY BASS PLAYER MY PALS NEED!!! 😛

NO, seriously, I do know a couple of good options, but she really wants someone that's not in our circle, which makes things difficult as it seems that we bass players stick to each other whenever we recognise another specimen from our species :D

• Like 1