Why become a member? ×

Don’t think this seller realised what they had

DannyBrerro

I was trawling through eBay’s sold listings for Squier basses to see how often fiesta red classic vibes come up (extremely rarely) and spotted this. Looks like someone was in the right place at the right time and managed to nab bargain of the century, provided its genuine - JV P in fiesta red for 150 quid. 

From now on I’m checking daily, you never know what might pop up!

C400E2A9-EE08-4C58-BA2D-DDD5A154A7C5.png

270B4FA6-5071-4A7D-A350-F83D725B3E04.png

BE6F79AA-93F5-4C59-9744-2470712C1A53.jpeg

Good (from a blagger's POV) to see this sort of thing still happens!

I've had more than my fair share of very, very silly Ebay bargains - typically when the seller had no idea what they had, or from errors in the listing making it hard for most people to find. Really very unusual these days.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Little Dragon said:

'Need tuning' may have put people off!

Just think of the guitar tech cost to get that sorted!!

58 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

Good (from a blagger's POV) to see this sort of thing still happens!

I've had more than my fair share of very, very silly Ebay bargains - typically when the seller had no idea what they had, or from errors in the listing making it hard for most people to find. Really very unusual these days.

Yeah I got a decent ‘Squire’ bass a couple of years ago for £45, collection only helps too - less chance of a bidding war starting.

1 hour ago, Meddle said:

A Squier's a Squier for all that. This forum is just one place that has artificially inflated the used price of these things.

True to some extent, there's a hype that gets perpetuated in fora like this one by people, most of whom have not really played one and just regurgitate what they have read.

However, there's a hype there based on something. Those early Japanese Squier instruments were very decent indeed, in general.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meddle said:

Any '80s Squier I've played has been a boat anchor, tonally dead and featured poor quality electronics. They maybe make good modding platforms. If they are considered good then it speaks volumes about what Fender were sharting out in the '70s and '80s.

Then we have very different experiences. Most have been at least decent, if not great (early to mid 80s, late 80s that's another story)

My favourite Telecaster happened to be a Japanese Squier, E series, so not one of the "coolest" ones and with a reasonable price tag... it was the best Tele I ever got to play. I sold it, along with most of my toys, during one difficult phase where I needed to raise cash. I still keep an eye out for it. It was pretty distinct due to a couple of deep gouges on the front caused by a guitar stand when both decided to fight out some disagreement. I never saw the stand again ;)

1 hour ago, Meddle said:

Some maybe, but this forum and Talkbass act as though they were built from NOS Pre-CBS stock and hand assembled by Leo Fender's ghost. They are good instruments for the money, but they aren't the God-tier basses many believe; especially when they are trying to offload them for jacked prices. 

That's true, some of the prices I've seen are a little crazy. 

• Like 1

I have 3 JVs. One is good, the other two are fabulous. One is around 9.5 lb, the others both a good bit lighter. Owned since 82,84  and 88.

I have never played a bad one. They seem to typically change hands for £5-700, which seems ok value to me, so I’m not sure where the hype is.

1 hour ago, lee650 said:

Massively lucky for whoever jumped on that!! I wonder how long it'll take before it's in the classifieds at £900 😂

Funny you should say that, I wasn’t going to mention it because I didn’t want to start the usual debate over reselling at a profit, but it did actually get relisted on eBay..

Think it still got snapped up even at a £800 profit 😳

CD3F2B1B-E876-404B-8D39-B60F0680935C.png

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, DannyBrerro said:

Funny you should say that, I wasn’t going to mention it because I didn’t want to start the usual debate over reselling at a profit, but it did actually get relisted on eBay..

Think it still got snapped up even at a £800 profit 😳

CD3F2B1B-E876-404B-8D39-B60F0680935C.png

Yep the buyer cashed in their lottery win! I can honestly say (as the owner of a JV jazz) I would have kept that bass as they are fantastic! Man £150!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meddle said:

Whoever paid £1000 for that is a total tool.

I'm sure you've paid a lot for a bass that someone else will think isn't worth it/sounds shyte/ugly/not their cuppa etc! At the end of the day, you didn't fork out the cash, you've made your point, you don't like Squier's, now just get over it FFS!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Meddle said:

I've only overpaid once for a bass. I took a bath on a Godin Shifter bass I traded a Japanese Mustang for. I wish I kept the Mustang.

I wouldn't mind Squiers so much if the owners weren't so touchy and didn't have such an obvious inferiority complex. 

'80s Squiers are treated like gold dust, but I've never played one that out-performed a well dialled in modern MIM Fender instrument. They just don't feel or sound special to me. What is it about this particular strain of thick poly finishes, automated manufacturing, zero electronics shielding and low quality fretwork that you all enjoy, over any other Fenderoid instruments out there?

Like all of us, you are entitled to your view, but I’m not quite with you on the inferiority complex bit?

• Like 2