Why become a member? ×

Bass octave pedal

Guest Kev999

Am considering an MXR bass octave deluxe pedal which I understand produces a note an octave below what I'm playing - sounds nice but is this likely to damage my speakers?

Edited by Kev999
trying to delete it!

Should be fine because in normal use you'll have the same output level as when bypassed, so when more octave is used there's less dry.  The good thing about the MXR is the mid boost because you can lower the dry when the mid is boosted but it'll still cut through.

Hi Kev, I actually have one for sale if you're still interested? Octave effects are very useful in many contexts! I have basically always used one on my board because they can add so much to certain moments in a live performance. No they won't damage your speakers. I wouldn't advise playing anything lower than an A though as they don't track well when you get that low, but you'll find these type of things out from playing around with one!

Also you may end up buying more than one. Not just because Basschat does that to a person, but because they have different characters. Don't be put off if the first one doesn't do it for you. 

I started with the POG, widely regarded as a great pedal, and I love EHX pedals, but it wasn't what I was looking for. I went through other great stuff until finding a little Valeton octaver produced the sound I wanted. 

Also the pitch shift on the Zoom multistomp does a fantastic octave down while the digitech ricochet produces a lovely high octave. 

Dive in and have fun. 

Edited by stewblack

• 1 month later...