Why become a member? ×

New Fender Lineup

Cuzzie

4 minutes ago, Bleat said:

I thought Leo Fender got it all right the first time? 🤪

If he had, there wouldn't be Musicman or G&L, both of which play a big part in the bass and guitar landscape ;)

I do find all this Fender wheel reinvention tedious and frustrating, but I guess I'm just not their target market. If I was a guitar player, I would certainly be coveting a new Jazzmaster, but their basses are just meh to me these days, have been for a very long time now if I'm honest.

Eude

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Cato said:

The Fender group has Jackson and Charvel covering the shredders and the metal fans and Gretsch to cover the (dare I say it) Gibson style solid bodies and semi-hollow market.

Their Fender branded guitars are never going to stray too far from the traditional models that people expect.

Apart from anything else whenever they try a bit of departure from the classics, from the Katana and the Performer to the Dimension, it inevitability flops.

That's the shame of it, they can do some interesting departures but they never last. I really liked the idea of the Modern Player series basses, the semi hollow that was around a few years back, and the Dimensions only got good reviews and there was a Squier model! 

Hmmm - Does seem to be a sideways 'upgrade' on the previous Elite models.

Losing the truss rod wheel seems a massive own-goal to me, it was one of the things that really attracted me when I got mine a couple of years ago.  By including the Hi-Mass bridge they've also removed the string-thru option.  Added flip-open battery compartments instead of the screw on plate.

Think I'll stick with my Elite. 

I do like the 'Mocha burst' though, wasn't until I zoomed in that I could see that it's actually metallic.  YMMV!

AU.thumb.PNG.6c05de796e795942c034a5c546ba8452.PNG

• Like 1

It's all contradictory though isn't it?

Basschat think they're all boring, and yet they'll sell loads.
They get rightly blamed for not innovating, but when they innovate (dimension, modern player) the innovations don't sell.
They claim revolution, but they're all the same.

I paid £700 for my American Standard P bass in 2003. I talked them down from £730. At the time I thought that was a little overpriced. £2k will buy a Limelight, it'll buy some Shukers, or a Dingwall. Mental.

Fender already have their relaunched series. These are supposedly the instruments that are going to save the company. They don't need to churn models, like the US auto industry in the 50's and 60's. A rename, small adjustments and few extra colours is just rearranging the deckchairs. If the shape of the truss rod adjustment is the most important thing to potential buyers then they are sunk.

IMO more players would appreciate 2020 being the year of a step change improvement in quality and tone at all levels and at the same price. By now Fender must have realised that players won't buy Fender just because of the name. If they did Fender wouldn't have been inches away from Chapter 11. 

Fewer models more with more attention to detail across what left of the range. Fender just don’t wanna miss out on the high end market and much like Coca Cola having 15 different sizes on drinks form 125ml to 1l, 1.25l, 1.75l, 2l it’s just flooding all price points of the market and having that presence. It’s neither big, clever or new but it’s the corporate way!

Let me present the all new Fender American Extreme Ultra Elite series. New for 2023 it replaces the American Ultra series launched in 2019. :)

0199012773_gtr_frt_001_rr.jpg

I know, they look pretty much the same as decades ago, but they are greatly improved and only 500 quid more expensive than the Ultra. 

Edited by HazBeen
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HazBeen said:

Let me present the all new Fender American Extreme Ultra Elite series. New for 2023 it replaces the American Ultra series launched in 2019. :)

0199012773_gtr_frt_001_rr.jpg

I know, they look pretty much the same as decades ago, but they are greatly improved and only 500 quid more expensive than the Ultra. 

Looks like a Sire P7 to me but with a slightly better headstock. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Umm. Looks like the price has gone down a fraction.........for now.

No truss rod wheel, no string through, no mention of graphite neck rods (oversight surely) compound radius fretboard but no mention of compound neck profile.

Does seem a little regressive from the splendid Elite. Unless of course,as usual, I've got it all wrong.

On 06/11/2019 at 12:49, LewisK1975 said:

Hmmm - Does seem to be a sideways 'upgrade' on the previous Elite models.

Losing the truss rod wheel seems a massive own-goal to me, it was one of the things that really attracted me when I got mine a couple of years ago.  By including the Hi-Mass bridge they've also removed the string-thru option.  Added flip-open battery compartments instead of the screw on plate.

Think I'll stick with my Elite. 

I do like the 'Mocha burst' though, wasn't until I zoomed in that I could see that it's actually metallic.  YMMV!

AU.thumb.PNG.6c05de796e795942c034a5c546ba8452.PNG

Yeah it goes nicely with the Rosewood fretboard, but would look even better with a Pau Ferro fretboard.