Why become a member? ×

Headless bass tuner stripped thread

prowla

I think your first question ought to be whether the screw-thread of the tuner has stripped, or the thread inside the string-holder block. The latter can often be fixed by drilling oversize and fitting a threaded insert, and I'm not sure what you can do with the former.

Having said that, by the time you have bought the right size of drill, bag of inserts and any other tools you might need, it might be cheaper to buy a new bridge for about £30 on ebay.

David

Aha! 
It is the thread on the screw, not in the block. 
I took a closer look and noticed a hex socket in the opposite end of the thumb wheel. 
So I undid it. 
Looking inside there was a cross head screw top. 
So I got my screwdriver and unscrewed it TIL it came right out.

The bolt part of the tuner is just a cheap bolt with a knurled knob on the end!

I’ll be off to the DIY shop tomorrow to see if I can find one. 

13 hours ago, John Cribbin said:

This one of those times when ebay is your friend.

I get fed up of some of those far east screws with the consistency of congealed butter ... Stainless steel is the way to go, you can probably get a pack of 10 for a couple of quid and replace the lot in one go.

Yep - that's my mission for today!

Compared with, say, a Steinberger, the Overlords are crazily cheap - but they aren't great quality-wise.  I used one for @TheGreek 's Psilos.  I had to buy a second one and make up one good one from the two sets of components.

They benefit also from dissassembly, thorough cleaning and re-lubrication.

The resulting good one, I think, has held good (Mick?) and Mick also has a few spare bits that I didn't have to bin.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Compared with, say, a Steinberger, the Overlords are crazily cheap - but they aren't great quality-wise.  I used one for @TheGreek 's Psilos.  I had to buy a second one and make up one good one from the two sets of components.

They benefit also from dissassembly, thorough cleaning and re-lubrication.

The resulting good one, I think, has held good (Mick?) and Mick also has a few spare bits that I didn't have to bin.

Yep - I need to keep my eye out for a used one. 
I think the previous owner had the strings too long and so overtightened the tuner. 

2 hours ago, TheGreek said:

No problems with the one on the Psilos....

What should I be wary of???

1 hour ago, prowla said:

If the tuners ever feel like they’re grinding. 

^ This...but basically when it's new.  It's the sizing that seems to be a bit dodgy but the quality if the metal itself seems OK.  So when I took the bad saddles or bolts out of the one you sent me and swopped with the best ones of the second block I bought, you have a set up now, Mick, that should and does work fine :)

3 hours ago, prowla said:

Yep - I need to keep my eye out for a used one. 
I think the previous owner had the strings too long and so overtightened the tuner. 

They're on ebay for as little as £26.99 with free postage from China...I wouldn't bother looking for a used one...

8 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

They're on ebay for as little as £26.99 with free postage from China...I wouldn't bother looking for a used one...

Yep - I came to that conclusion last night and ordered one!

I tried swapping one string's worth of the parts from one of my Steinberger Spirits and they fitted, but it started grinding too, so it looks like the housing is affected as well, so better to just swap the whole thing (and keep the parts from the defunct one).

• Like 1