Why become a member? ×

Hidden Gems

stewblack

On 02/11/2019 at 13:42, Painy said:

My Squier VM P5.

Admittedly took a few modifications to the electronics to get the sound where I wanted it but it just has the most comfortable, playable neck of any bass I've owned (which has included enough basses that cost several thousand pounds to make that an impressive statement for a sub £300 instrument). I've also been able to get it to take a far lower action than any other bass I've owned.

These are great basses. I’m not a five player but every few years I get the urge and last time it was one of these that I bought (for the wider string spacing).

I’m sure the next time I get the urge to give fives another go, it’ll be one of these I seek out.

• Like 2

At the moment Its my Excelsior, fretless, bass uke. unlike me it has exceeded all expectations now I've found decent string. Fire it through a cube street, which in itself is much fun and a huge leap from the amps that I originally got with the other instruments and I can almost make something resembling a bassline. I've found the secret with the rubber/polymer strings, other than using Aquila Thunderblacks, is baby talc on your fingers, stops them sounding like you're sawing timber.

BBE Two Timer Delay. Got it essentially for free as a bundle when buying a guitar amp. It has been my go to delay pedal for those post rock volume swells since about 2012. I bought the TC Electronic Flashback to replace it but it sounds too 'clean' for me. 

Tech 21 VT Bass pedal

I have a SVT 2 Pro which sounds amazing, but wasn't very practical when heading to practice straight from work, so i got the VT pedal to do an Ampeg impression through whatever amp the studio was providing.  Obviously I'd use the SVT for actual gigs and whenever we were recording...

The I played a few gigs in London where we were getting the tube and, again, using whatever amps were knocking around at the venue, or I'd DI, and again, the VT pedal makes it sound like I'm using an Ampeg.  And used it for a demo recording session - the engineer being amazed at the sound i was getting from the studio Marshall

I've now got to the stage where I rarely think about using my actual SVT - did a couple of reasonable sized dep shows last year and had to be persuaded by the rest of the band to take their bass stack with us as I just wanted to DI through the VT (and in fact that's what the sound man did each night) - they had promised the support bands a bass amp so I used that as my monitor

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

Behringer Microphone, cost about £20 worth a stand from gear4music, tried in a blind test against a decent Shure SM and a professional musician friend with a truly amazing ear could not tell which was which. 

Is it the xm8500? 

8 minutes ago, stewblack said:

13 squid! 

Mad isn’t it! Mine came for less than £20 with a stand and delivery, the body is metal, components seem good quality and it even comes in a decent plastic and foam case. Had it two years and it’s been well used and is still perfect with no issues. There is no on/off switch but other than that I can’t see how the Shure is that different.

Edit: just looked and the £20 included a cheap XLR cable as well as the stand.

Edited by T-Bay