Why become a member? ×

November Composition Challenge - GET WRITING!

Skol303

November's Composition Challenge is on...

Here’s the image for your inspiration, chosen once again by the unstoppable force that is lurksalot:

Duke_of_Lancaster_beached,_2010.jpg

Rules:

Check you have permission to use any samples

Keep it under 5 minutes and write it during the month of the challenge

Bagpipes

The deadline for entries is midnight on Saturday 23rd November.

Here is my contribution to the November 2019 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by the previous winner: Lurksalot.
Some reminiscing on past glories in her more senior years, musing on a very well-known theme. It is customary to stand for this piece, but I'll not insist upon that in this form (Can you see what it is yet..?) The structure is not quite as one might expect, being arranged as 'stretched' 3/4 bars in 3/4 time.
The baseline composition was given over to BIAB for the skeleton, the bones of which are still in there, but behind several washes of differing textures, floating in and out, some to LFO waves. A Ruby bass, of course, Superior 2 drums, a Kontakt classical guitar, various keys, brass and strings all add flesh to the edifice.
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Very last minute thing I put together for this, I had a mess about on the keyboard a few days before the deadline and liked it enough to do the rest of it.

I try not to think too much about these, but if I had to say how it relates to the picture, maybe the insistent bass part feels like time inexorably passing and the piano and guitar are about what that's done to the subject of the picture.

It is meant to sound a bit "loose" in places - honest!

Drums: NI Studio Drummer, programmed by me, very basic!
Bass: Me on my Maruszczyk Elwood (with flats) through Mark Studio 2
Piano: Me playing my NI S88 through the piano from NI's "Cuba"
Guitar: Me on my PRS through a couple of different Amplitube Fender amps

I'm a total novice at mixing & mastering so this is roughly mixed for levels and then run through the best preset mastering chain I could find in Studio One with no tweaks.

• Like 1

OK 

Because I did a half decent one last month , the singist from the old band was happy to collaborate on this one , and boy does it make a difference , he can ........ er.... sing :sun_bespectacled:

so many thanks to Mr Ray 'warbler'  Robertson of The Razors for contributing to this .....

On 08/11/2019 at 09:34, Dad3353 said:

Here is my contribution to the November 2019 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by the previous winner: Lurksalot.
Some reminiscing on past glories in her more senior years, musing on a very well-known theme. It is customary to stand for this piece, but I'll not insist upon that in this form (Can you see what it is yet..?) The structure is not quite as one might expect, being arranged as 'stretched' 3/4 bars in 3/4 time.
The baseline composition was given over to BIAB for the skeleton, the bones of which are still in there, but behind several washes of differing textures, floating in and out, some to LFO waves. A Ruby bass, of course, Superior 2 drums, a Kontakt classical guitar, various keys, brass and strings all add flesh to the edifice.
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

beautiful Douglas , Bravo 

A Masterpiece ^^ (yet again..!). I really must try harder to write liriks lyriques lirricks some words, and get our singster to warble 'em. :|

(The '^^' referred to Lurks's work, not my own, of course. Modesty forbid..!)

Edited by Dad3353
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, adamg67 said:

Very last minute thing I put together for this, I had a mess about on the keyboard a few days before the deadline and liked it enough to do the rest of it.

I try not to think too much about these, but if I had to say how it relates to the picture, maybe the insistent bass part feels like time inexorably passing and the piano and guitar are about what that's done to the subject of the picture.

It is meant to sound a bit "loose" in places - honest!

Drums: NI Studio Drummer, programmed by me, very basic!
Bass: Me on my Maruszczyk Elwood (with flats) through Mark Studio 2
Piano: Me playing my NI S88 through the piano from NI's "Cuba"
Guitar: Me on my PRS through a couple of different Amplitube Fender amps

I'm a total novice at mixing & mastering so this is roughly mixed for levels and then run through the best preset mastering chain I could find in Studio One with no tweaks.

Fair play , that's 3 brilliant tracks I've listened to just now

well done gents :drinks:

17 hours ago, lurksalot said:

it’s good job @adamg67 posted or I’d have missed it :$  

You can rely on me to be close to a deadline :) I only knew when it was cos I started so close to it.

Excellent stuff from everyone (again - this is the reason there's a few started-but-never-finished attempts for these sitting in my laptop).

There's a Life Lesson in there, somewhere. I always start as soon as I get any sort of 'inspiration' from the month's chosen picture, and, once started, have to finish it. This explains to a great extent why I'm often (not always, but often...) the first to post an entry, and also why my all-too-hastily cobbled together offerings are consistently of such mediocre quality. It's also sadly true that me taking much more time over these pieces would inevitably lead to works of even lower finish, such is my level of ability. gOib363.png

The moral, if moral there be, would be to strike early whilst the iron's hot, but not miss and hit one's thumb (which hurts...). DQFcX8c.png

• Like 1

I know what you mean about spending lots of time on things, the law of diminishing returns kicks in pretty quickly, and then goes on to become the law of negative returns if you're not careful. If I start tweaking things I always compare them to the original to make sure I havn't made them worse, and often I have.

• Like 1

I like to get stuck in sharpish , but I also like to throw open the invite for a vocal input from 1 or 2 people , then , as it usually finds a few stumbling blocks , I either do it myself or leave them off , but it takes a couple of weeks to get to the point that what is currently done either improves with my singing attempts or not, decision time, then it gets posted! 

All done lads! The voting thread is now up:

The winner will choose a picture to launch the challenge again in 2020.

Next month is our Cover Song Challenge, to which you're allowed to enter any cover song written or recorded during 2019 (and they don't have to be festive...).

• Like 1