Why become a member? ×

Short scale jaguar?

RhysC

Hi so I am fairly new to bass, I have been playing since the start of the year and only have a practice bass at the moment and looking at buying a new one come Christmas. I am a huge fan of Royal Blood and wanted a jaguar squire bass SS however the one that I have found and want is both described as short scale and long scale on two different websites, I was wandering if someone could help me find out if this bass is short scale or long scale.

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/squier-classic-vibe-jaguar-bass-il-black?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwr-_tBRCMARIsAN413WTLL03HCdW5XfbrM0CakXZiRSB7B7egWD06zI71sAPoezvpjsk2_c0aAv3fEALw_wcB#product-details

On this website it has a scale length of 34" which is long scale?

https://www.dawsons.co.uk/squier-classic-vibe-jaguar-electric-bass-guitar?prod=210026&gclid=Cj0KCQjwr-_tBRCMARIsAN413WQTBSjt1uv0TLHy020M2NtSoBFhDR-CsP5NoKYTuu3M0CUVog-q2LwaAur9EALw_wcB  

And on this website it has a scale length of 30" which is short scale I believe.

To me both of these basses are the same and are just described differently on each website unless there are two different versions of the same bass, I just want to make sure I am purchasing a short scale thank you :))

• Like 1

It looks like it might be a mistake to me. There's no other mention of it being short scale in the description and a few websites have that identical bass listed as 34". I would just drop them an email or call them to ask. I'm sure they'll clear it up.

It looks long scale to me. There's a Vintage Modified short scale one but it has a squatter body shape (top picture):

Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale

190603344443008f.thumb.jpg.db3cec3becdb1ab325a24ab6bbc4b991.jpg

Edited by Rexel Matador
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Rexel Matador said:

It looks like it might be a mistake to me. There's no other mention of it being short scale in the description and a few websites have that identical bass listed as 34". I would just drop them an email or call them to ask. I'm sure they'll clear it up.

It looks long scale to me. There's a Vintage Modified short scale one but it has a squatter body shape (top picture):

Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale

190603344443008f.thumb.jpg.db3cec3becdb1ab325a24ab6bbc4b991.jpg

Ah ok thanks a lot, I have seen the modified one before but preferred the inlays that the classic vibe one had.

I also got in contact with the company and they looked over it and said its a 32" not 34", I am not sure on what scale lengths are classed as short scale and long scale but I did a quick search and found out 30" is classed as short and 34" is long, so would 32" still out as short or no? Sorry for all the dumb questions as I said im still new to the world of bass :)

5 minutes ago, Rexel Matador said:

As I understand it, 32" would be medium scale. I think 32" scale Squiers are quite rare. I'd be really surprised if was actually 32".

But I'm prepared to be surprised if anyone knows for sure!

Well according to the support guy I talked to he messaged their fender supplier and they came back to say it was 32", that exact bass everywhere is on pre-order for next year so might have to get myself one :) But in an ideal world I would love a 30" jaguar bass with the rectangular inlays in a cherry red colour if they ever did colour variants. Also wish I was skilled enough to build my own custom one which will save me a lot of time trying to find the specific one I had in mind :P 

Edited by RhysC

4 minutes ago, AngelDeVille said:

I have a set of 32" scale strings sitting in a drawer because of another companies misinformation about scale length.

Thank you Danelectro

Feels bad

Edited by RhysC

The Jaguars with black headstocks are short scale at 30". I don't think the new models have shipped yet for confirmation on scale length, but I'd be very surprised at 32" as only the VM Telecaster Bass and the Gary Jarman signature have had that scale so far and they both used the same neck. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, borntohang said:

The Jaguars with black headstocks are short scale at 30". I don't think the new models have shipped yet for confirmation on scale length, but I'd be very surprised at 32" as only the VM Telecaster Bass and the Gary Jarman signature have had that scale so far and they both used the same neck. 

No they haven't shipped them out yet which is probably what all the confusion is about, kinda wishing it was a 30" scale length though :/

32 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

Paid a couple of hundred quid new for a VM s-s (30") a couple of years back.  Excellent value for money.  Got it as a back-up, fitted my favourite strings and it's done a more than adequate job the couple of times I've had to gig with it.

Yeah think I might buy one but I’m still torn on whether or not to wait and see what scale this new one is first purely because I’m picky and like the look of the newer one 😛