Why become a member? ×

Starting off on a song at the wrong tempo...

missis sumner

I agree. It’s way more faff. I think it illustrates that if your drummer is going to do all those things. The last thing he’s going to do is check a metronome. 

In 35 years of gigging I’ve never seen anyone use one live and only seen drummers use click tracks when playing to sequencers. A song should breathe. Light and shade, and slight shifts of tempo.

Edited by TimR

• 1 month later...

I was just reading something about how in experiments non-musicians are actually able to correctly get the temp of a song right, usually within a 4% accuracy. A fascinating book called ‘this is your brain on music’.

I guess adrenaline could speed things up a little on a gig though.

Edited by ambient

The drummer in my last band did this constantly, the dipstick. He’d start off too slow or too fast, or he’d do a count in at a completely different speed to the proper tempo.

On the songs I’d start, I’d always start on the correct tempo thinking he’d come in and follow, but no, he’d come in at a completely different speed. I’m glad I don’t have to play with that numpty ever again.