Why become a member? ×

Starting off on a song at the wrong tempo...

missis sumner

10 minutes ago, gary mac said:

Dave can you let me know the name of the app? Cheers.

I’ll check with the drummer and let you know, Gary.

Andy still getting over excited from time to time 😁

Try and keep him off the Red Bulls if you can 😀

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Our drummer runs an earpiece for certain tunes, others we allow variance but usually sit around the same.

we record all rehearsals and discuss tempos, if somethings off we use the click at the next rehearsal.

but our guy is very good and in rehearsal will stop or change/signal if it’s not right.

Its about to be firmed up though as he’s going to be triggering samples which will require timings to be good.

I tried using a vibrato pedal for Boulevarde of Broken Dreams; everyone impressed by the sound, but if the drummer drifted there wasn't a way to get it back in synch. I tried using a delay instead, re-triggering at each bar, but it faded too fast and didn't sound any better than playing staccato, which what I ended up doing.

4 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I tried using a vibrato pedal for Boulevarde of Broken Dreams; everyone impressed by the sound, but if the drummer drifted there wasn't a way to get it back in synch. I tried using a delay instead, re-triggering at each bar, but it faded too fast and didn't sound any better than playing staccato, which what I ended up doing.

My guy is perfect to a click but on certain tracks it’s nice to build or have a bit of ebb/flow in time. Don’t want to sound robotic.

Guitarist has some lovely delays but taps in if needed.

the tremolo/vibrato stuff works well when planned out.

My worst experience regards timing was when the drummer counted and then proceeded to play Moon River in 4/4. 

We had ‘learned’ it specifically for the couple’s wedding anniversary for their ‘first dance’! I’ve never seen anyone waltz in 4/4 before or since. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, TimR said:

We had ‘learned’ it specifically for the couple’s wedding anniversary for their ‘first dance’! I’ve never seen anyone waltz in 4/4 before or since. 

I've practiced with a bass player on drums who counted in 1 2 3 4 but then proceeded to play (correctly) in 3/4!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, chris_b said:

That's what a drummer I play with uses.

Doesn't fix starting at the wrong tempo, just helps you maintain the tempo you started at.

True - but at least the drummer knows what he's playing and gives him a chance to start bringing the tempo back to where it should be

We get the singer to cough really loudly and switch to the right tempo straight after. A bit like trying to cover up when you know you're going to fart. It's particularly effective for the infamous wedding first dance, which are invariable slow numbers that get started way too fast. 

• Haha 1

oof, imagine if someone headed off a bit quick on 'one week' by the BNL?

I don't know why so many humans find this so hard. Last time I was in the studio the drums were done in single takes.

Dunno how I'm so good at it tbh. Anyone need a drummer who's not rubbish? unimaginative, like. But not rubbish.

The only thing I can't do is accurately predict when the electric toothbrush wants me to change quadrants before it buzzes IF I'm playing rock music whilst cleaning my teeth.

2 hours ago, steantval said:

I remember years back we used to do Two Princes by the Spin Doctors, if we happened to play it just slightly faster, the vocalist couldn’t get the words out fast enough to fit.

We have been known to do this on purpose 😂

On 01/11/2019 at 09:44, TimR said:

Without a doubt. I spent 10 years in a band with a drummer who tried to play everything too fast. It was hard work holding the tempo down. One gig was so bad that I gave up and went with the flow. By the end of the song the singer was glaring at him as she couldn’t sing any of the words. 
It wasn’t until I did a few dep gigs that I found out how proper musicians play. I left the band pretty soon after.

Although I played a dep gig last month where the drummer was speeding up in a lot of songs towards the end of the gig. I put that down to his age and getting tired as he’s normally spot on and it was fine in the first half. 

One problem is where a drummer isn’t really aware of the parts the other members of the band have to play/sing, and the feel of those parts (e.g. in the example above the singer not being able to fit the words in). The more au fait the drummer is with the music/singing, not just their drum part, the more chance you’ve got. Too many drummers IME just think about playing the drums, rather than playing the song, and it doesn’t seem to occur to them that playing the wrong tempo can make other people’s parts difficult or unworkable.

Edited by 4000
  • Like 3

I’m lucky enough to have a very good drummer in my current band. Regardless of who starts a song, he always insists on giving a count-in first.

We also sometimes record rehearsals and he’ll self-critique - comments like ‘I was a few BPM faster than the record on that one’ etc.

I’ve also played with some terrible drummers too, so this is definitely appreciated!

George

Depends how good a drummer you have, because they are the one that needs to adjust. 

The best one I've played with from that perspective, we knew each other well enough to trust the other if one of us felt that the song needed speeding up or slowing down, just based on feel, or sometimes because a guitarist has got the tempo wrong when playing the intro.  We'd lock eyes, maybe shout "faster" or "slower" and then drive each other towards the right speed - I could certainly vary my playing to change the tempo, although that's maybe because he was good at picking up the subtleties of what i was doing.  No point just changing speed without taking the drummer with you, as you're the one that the audience thinks has got it wrong

If nobody else had followed you then they get the hard stare at the end of the song so that everybody knows it was them that made a mistake

The ouitgoing drummer in one of my bands has had issues with starting both too quickly and too slow on a couple of different songs and it's hard work pulling them into the correct tempo once you are running. It's one of the things I will be keeping an ear out for when we start auditioning prospective new one this weekend.

1 minute ago, KevB said:

The ouitgoing drummer in one of my bands has had issues with starting both too quickly and too slow on a couple of different songs and it's hard work pulling them into the correct tempo once you are running. It's one of the things I will be keeping an ear out for when we start auditioning prospective new one this weekend.

Can you count these songs in?

6 hours ago, geoham said:

I’m lucky enough to have a very good drummer in my current band. Regardless of who starts a song, he always insists on giving a count-in first.

We also sometimes record rehearsals and he’ll self-critique - comments like ‘I was a few BPM faster than the record on that one’ etc.

I’ve also played with some terrible drummers too, so this is definitely appreciated!

George

This is ideal. The two drummers I mainly play with carry a metronome (there are apps that do the job, as others point out). They check the correct tempo before the start and give us two bars count (always two - never one) with the sticks. Works every time.

• Like 1