Why become a member? ×

Van Morrison interview - Classic Van...

Teebs

Back in the day, at a talk given by a chap who had at one point been in Van Morrison's band, a story was told regarding the last day of the tour, when before the gig each member of the band took one of Van's harmonicas, and wiped it up the crack of their derriere, then replaced it back on the rack.

Such was the regard in which he was held. A challenging man to work for/with.

1 hour ago, MacDaddy said:

Back in the day, at a talk given by a chap who had at one point been in Van Morrison's band, a story was told regarding the last day of the tour, when before the gig each member of the band took one of Van's harmonicas, and wiped it up the crack of their derriere, then replaced it back on the rack.

I heard that story too.

1 hour ago, Burns-bass said:

I heard that story too.

+1

Apparently VM had the habit of starting the soundcheck, then disappearing for a while leaving the band onstage not knowing what was going on. This happened a lot during the tour so revenge was sought I believe. May be true, maybe not...

Having read the article it's clear that the journo went in there demanding lots of revelatory detail and philosophical musings from The Great Man. When she didn't get it she threw a strop.

Let's look at just one of those exchanges.

Journo asks Morrison why the band played Moondance and Brown Eyed Girl the previous night:

“Cos those are the ones the band learned,” he says, when asked why he chose to unveil those two. “I don’t know, is this a psychiatric examination?” It is not. “It sounds like one,” he says. “The band learned those two songs, so those are the ones they knew. There’s not really any great intellectual Bernard Levin debate, you know. It’s just, it’s just … it’s just music, that’s all it is."

“You’re making a big thing about it and it’s not a big deal,” he continues. “It’s what I do. I don’t know what you do, you’re probably a journalist, that’s what you do.” This is not about me, I tell him. “Well, what are ya? Are you a journalist, what are ya?” He looks at me with a kind of disdain. I dutifully reel off the various components of my career. “OK, well, I do music,” he says. “I sing and I write songs and I do gigs. So to me that’s not interesting. You’re trying to make it very, very interesting and something it’s not. Playing gigs is very practical. It’s very repetitive. And it’s no big deal. I’ve been doing it all my life.”

For a moment I consider telling him to grow up.

I'm no fan of either Morrison or his music but it seems pretty clear to me that the journo didn't get what she wanted so she's turned the interview into a hatchet job. The most revealing bit's here:

(Instead) I look him in the eye and tell him that I am not trying to psychoanalyse him, that his music has simply meant more to me than any other throughout my life. There is something that moves across his face but I could not name it. “Aehhh,” he breathes.

What the journo exemplifies here is the notion of 'fan ownership' - the idea that because one is a fan the artist owes you something in return - in fatal combination with the commonplace but entirely idiotic idea that an artist's music must by default be motivated by analysable philosophical principles. In other words, the fool's notion that everything has to have a meaning.

Morrison's position is that he just does what he does.

"I don’t need to probe what I do. You know?” His voice is flinty. “It comes naturally. It is what it is, as they say. There’s not a lot of intellectual pondering about what I’m doing, it’s very kind of instinctive and intuitive, and that’s it.”

Frankly, I think most of us here would agree with this position and if some journo insisted on viewing us through the prism of their own expectations and kept telling us that 'there must be more to it' then I think we'd probably be even less accommodating than the old curmudgeon.

Perhaps this is why Van's got the permanent hump. I'd be the same.

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, songofthewind said:

Why does he do interviews, then?

Contractual obligations? Record company / management pressure?

Doesn't really matter. Van Morrison interviews are always like pulling teeth and I suspect that the journo went in there without having read many of his previous encounters with the media. If she'd troubled to prepare herself she'd have known what to expect and planned accordingly.

Instead, she fell into the same trap that most journos do, which is to assume that he's going to be impressed by their assumed 'understanding' of his work and will therefore open up to them where he hasn't with anyone else.

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 1

To be fair, I think she was trying to do the exact opposite of that and actually tried to engage him about the practicalities of his job rather than trying to tease out any hidden meanings. And she successfully called his bluff too (or rather he tried and failed to call hers) when the topic shifted onto his preferred jazz musicians. I'd wager that the journalist knew *exactly* what to expect and was taking a circumspect approach. Despite this Van, artlessly and irrelevantly, used all his standard "defenses"... I mean, does asking about why a couple of old songs have been exhumed really count as a "psychiatric interview" or "intellectual debate"? 

It almost sounds like he nearly let the facade slip when the journalist in desperation actually appealed to some sort of personal connection - the exact opposite of how many of his interviews play out.

I'm a huge fan of his music but I've not read one word about Morrison that suggests he's anything other than a deeply unpleasant man who revels in being contrary. And I don't buy that he only entertains interviewers under record company duress: this is a man who has kept some of his finest work out of print for years in order to maintain industry grudges. And I'm fairly certain that the same old lags will be buying his current LP regardless of whether the broadsheets run a feature on it or not.

I can only read him one of two ways: he's either constantly reaching out to connect (hence his massive output) but is uncomfortable with/embarrassed by this OR he genuinely is joylessly doing the only job he can, and just happens to be brilliant at it.

• Like 3

To be fair to Van (whom I don't much like), he's not the music world's only - er - difficult interviewee. Our brother BC-er Mickeyboro often relates his disappointment on interviewing one of his musical heroes, Mr Warren Zevon.

Likewise, I remember George Thorogood giving an interviewer a hard time. 'Why all these questions about guitars? Why can't we talk about baseball?'

'Er - because this is an interview for Guitar World, George'

Thing is, some journos expect personal stuff from the interviewee because that's what many of them want to talk about, being rampant narcissists and all. As a result, journos expect everyone to open up about the deep stuff.

So, in this instance we have to ask ourself if the journo might be overly pre-occupied with the Inner Artist? Here are Laura Barton's most recent Guardian artist interviews over the last year with headline and sub-head:

Carrie Underwood: 'I'd put on a happy face, then go home and fall apart'

As she prepares to take Glastonbury by storm, the country star opens a bottle of red wine and talks about the personal tragedy that coloured her new songs

Lazarus: the Malawian busker overturning prejudice about albinism

Madonna called him ‘a powerful voice of a new generation’ – but musician Lazarus Chigwandali is still coming to terms with hearing himself on record for the first time

Sharon Van Etten: ‘The more I let go, the more I progress as a human being’

Known for complex songs about the dark side of love, the acclaimed singer-songwriter is back with a fifth album that explores synths, rock anthems, mental health and motherhood

Wilco's Jeff Tweedy on addiction, obsession and politics: 'White men are very fragile'

Over 30 years, Tweedy has battled drugs, alcohol and in-fighting to become one of the US’s most revered musicians. Now he has turned his experiences into a memoir and a solo album

Beth Ditto: 'I don't think I can act. I'm just really good at talking'

The Gossip frontwoman has started acting, and her first role is a ‘redneck loud woman’ in the new Gus Van Sant film. She talks about the real women behind the southern stereotypes.

Case closed.

• Like 1

I think the whole point of musicians' interviews (outside of the highly technical but usually otherwise mundane/inane ones instrument mags) is to cater to the the very natural need the public have to better understand the people whose art has affected them. The artists themselves often value the opportunity to contextualize and add perspective. So the examples you list above are really the "normal" stuff: artists talking about the things their fans want to know about. This is not some "preoccupation with the inner artist" - this is someone doing the job that people want them to do: the alternative would be the unchallenging, technical, hagiographic approach of the instrument-specific magazines. 

Van has a long history of not indulging the former approach and often striving to characterize his art as "work", expressing frustration that interviewers (and people in general) are not sufficiently aware of the artists that he apparently holds dear. This interviewer seemed to know this and took a pragmatic approach and yet he still acted like a spoilt child, and didn't even have a pithy retort to hand.

As I say above, he has no need to do any interviews - he could have made it part of his current contract or even provided interviewers with a list of pre-approved topics or questions. But he doesn't, he prefers to play the curmudgeon - when it would be far more eloquent (and befitting of his artistic legacy) to say nothing at all.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

Ahhhh, that's probably why he once said this in an interview for Smash Hits:

Van:

I always know when one of my tours is coming to an end. Some people think it's a sixth sense, but it's actually when my harmonicas taste a bit 'anusy'... which is pretty weird when you think about it.

🤣

• Haha 7

20 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

I know that one. It's true. His Musical Director instigated it.

Edited by NikNik