Why become a member? ×

NBD - Spector US 6 string content!

Paulhauser

I recently took possession of this US made Spector Forte 6. The Forte model was introduced in the early 2010's as a no frills version of the US NS basses. Cutting down on options, no fancy woods or inlays therefore making the production streamlined the aim was to offer a straightforward and a bit more affordable version of the NS models. Still made by the team of Stuart Spector (before his retirement) and co, Fortes are essentially the same as the US NS models but in Forte 'versions'

Now to the contrary of all above this Forte 6 has more features than some of my US NS-5XL basses and certainly more than normal Fortes. Flamed maple top, ash back are the body woods, ebony (!) is the fingerboard, tuners are the same as the NS custom models, preamp is Aguilar OBP and the pickups are EMG 45DCs. 

It is a wonderful sounding bass, powerful but not aggressive, clean and very even in all registers and there is a depth and richness to the sound. The no inlay ebony board is a wonder in itself, the neck is comfortable for a sixer and the whole thing is an incredibly well built, ergonomicly designed and sweet sounding bass. I have owned and currently own US made NS-5XL Spectors and this is up there with the best of them. 

Enjoy the pics!

IMG_0753.thumb.JPG.cae0506bbe5dc52d8237acdd2fcdd668.JPG

IMG_0755.thumb.JPG.3a010b2e0df29280b14a8d01af7bb104.JPG

IMG_0756.thumb.JPG.612088bc3f54ac29e1d77477d3279f2a.JPG

IMG_0757.thumb.JPG.26bf9f42c79af55ff8ad85387e602c70.JPG

Edited by Paulhauser
fixed some typos
  • Like 12

4 minutes ago, Chopthebass said:

That is super nice. I actually like the uncluttered ebony. Does it have EMG preamp too? Its odd how there is no easy access battery box.

Thank you! It has the Aguilar OBP2. Yes, the battery is in the main cavity but it's not an issue for me to open it every once in a while. I will most probably not be using this bass live so I don't have to worry about changing a dead battery in the heat of the gig 🙂

• 7 months later...

Update: I have replaced the EMG 45DCs with EMG 45TWX's. While I liked the DCs I think the TWX has a slightly rounder sound that works well with the ebony board and ash/maple setup. The sound became less brittle in the upper registers, the low end slightly less the strong mids remained and became even more pronounced. Also one of my observations is that the Aguilar OBP seems to work better or more effective with this pickup, especially the lows. As I use the TWX's in my other Spectors I pretty much knew what the swap would do but still I'm happy how this turned out. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/06/2020 at 11:27, Paulhauser said:

Update: I have replaced the EMG 45DCs with EMG 45TWX's. While I liked the DCs I think the TWX has a slightly rounder sound that works well with the ebony board and ash/maple setup. The sound became less brittle in the upper registers, the low end slightly less the strong mids remained and became even more pronounced. Also one of my observations is that the Aguilar OBP seems to work better or more effective with this pickup, especially the lows. As I use the TWX's in my other Spectors I pretty much knew what the swap would do but still I'm happy how this turned out. 

Did you get the coil splits as well?

Gorgeous bass! ❤️

7 minutes ago, Stockholm Syndrome said:

Did you get the coil splits as well?

Gorgeous bass! ❤️

Yes! Now it is vol/vol setup insted of the original vol/balance with both volume pots being push-pull ones for coil tap. 

Thanks for the compliment, all the glory goes to Stuart Spector and crew 🙂

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Paulhauser said:

Yes! Now it is vol/vol setup insted of the original vol/balance with both volume pots being push-pull ones for coil tap. 

Thanks for the compliment, all the glory goes to Stuart Spector and crew 🙂

Does it have wide string spacing (19 mm), or are my eyes just fooling me?