Why become a member? ×

What would your signature instrument be?

AngelDeVille

Easy... I’d have three models...

• Mark 3 Wal four string. Flamed sycamore top with a translucent blue burst finish and matching headstock. Black hardware.
  • Mark 1 Wal four string. Olive ash top in natural finish. Matching headstock. Silver hardware.
     9B541C2F-0B17-447D-8688-BC7A2E80D40C.thumb.png.d96c9a13a892d5232ed6c42809794da9.png
  • Mark 3 Wal four string. Beech top. Natural finish. Silver hardware.

72ECEE0C-1037-4D7C-8C14-4365DF5385EB.thumb.png.5cc3afdbe7081b4d8a7804b1758c0c52.png

I’m a man of simple and predictable (if eyewateringly expensive) tastes. And the bad news... Wal don’t do “endorsements” so I’d be paying full whack, just like anyone else. And waiting two years for them.

• Like 2

At the risk of sounding unimaginative, I keep finding myself going back to my Schecter. The passive Model T is still one of my all-time favourites. I can't quite work out whether Shecter have discontinued them in favour of the newer active model, but anyway: one of those passive ones, maybe with a second P pickup in the bridge instead of the J. And maybe both pickups reversed.

I'm easy to please.

• Like 1

My real life surname is Gibson - my 'signature' bass would confuse people - it wouldn't be a Gibson.

I'd favour my EB Musicman USA Sterling 4HH black with rosewood board, a matching black headstock and green pearl plate...would look odd with a Gibson signature, mind.

• Like 2

I'm basically building mine right now!  Well, modding at least.  Converting my Fender Elite P bass to passive as I never use active and the preamp colours the sound (I finally know what people mean by that now!).

So neck and body exactly the same as the Elite, PJ set up with S/P switch on the volume, blend pot for pups and master tone.  Maybe a kill switch if I can be bothered.  Olympic white, rosewood board with a tort plate (which I am stupidly making with a Dremel, I still haven't learned that it's probably more trouble than it's worth) but other colours might be surf green/daphne blue with anodized gold plate and maple neck (which is basically the regular P bass I made).  Also, an orange sparkle or translucent finish which I'm going to attempt on my Jazz bass one day... or mocha... the colours would change every 6 months or so...

• Like 2

Either a ‘72 spec Ric in Azureglo, but pre-skunk stripe (I prefer the sound without the skunk), an Alembic Series Balance K in Buckeye Burl, or a Sei Flamboyant in Buckeye Burl that somehow managed to combine the sounds of a Series Alembic, a vintage Ric, and (just in case) a Wal. 

• Like 1

I've really fallen for Sandberg instruments this year.

I think my signature model would be a California II VT4 , 3 tone sunburst with tort pickguard, reverse P pickup and relic'd - a lot like my current bass (in my profile pic).

Some one made a point earlier about a sig model being something that wouldn't be readily available to buy off the shelf so I'd ask sandberg for a few tweaks to standard

- Black label pickups rather than Delano's

- Rosewood neck with clay dots like on vintage fenders

- A more vintage styled bass bridge

- Rather than a pickup blend, I'd like to have a two position switch: position one Isolated P pickup (with the J completely out of the circuit) and position two a 50/50 blend of the two since they are the only two settings I ever use.

- Ernie Ball Cobalt Flat strings, 45 - 100 gauge

A second would a straight V4, in black with a light relic finish.  Same neck, strings, bridge as above and a reverse P black label pickup.

• Like 1

@EBS_freak reminded me how much I loved my GB Rumour - beautiful and sooo playable.

Problem??? It was sooo lovely I couldn't bring myself to take it out - that wasn't why Bernie built it. They're for playing - not for keeping locked in their cases.

Having said that, if I had another, I would take it out...