Why become a member? ×

What would your signature instrument be?

AngelDeVille

Any really expensive 4 string. If i'm not paying for it i might as well go for something extremely nice.

Thinking WAL, Alembic, Ritter, maybe something with a graphite neck, list could be endless tho.

If it was something i would use on a regular basis and gig with then probably either a Fender J or P or maybe a Sandberg VM4 which is my current gigging bass.

Dave

• Like 1

Well as this thread has a fantasy element to it, my sig bass would have fantastical technologies.

It would look just like a nice P bass on the surface, but with the following capabilities:

1. Upper C and F strings and lower B and F# strings would just appear instantly now and again, exactly when you need them, as if they had always been there. Making it a virtual 8 string. Sort of like the Room of Requirement in Harry Potter ...

2. The frets that are not on the note you are playing automagically sink so there is never any fret buzz.

3. It also senses what key you are in, and drops those frets (or part frets) that are not in the key so you never play a wrong note.

4. There are two knobs as on a normal P,  but volume is always full on and tone automatically adjusts according to the material you are playing. So in the case of my magic P one knob is variable fret height, from super jumbo to banjo and finally dropping all the frets, making it temporarily a fretless.

5. The other knob varies the string type from round to flat and all the shades inbetween.

6. Obviously the tuning gears are automatic.

7. The bass is spookily light until a long note is played, when it becomes really heavy and allowing massive sustain. The strap senses this and deploys instantaneous anti-gravity measures so you don't even notice the weight changes.

8. The cable has memorised all the great bass sounds ever and lets you DI with no amp. Actually maybe this already exists in the form of a Kemper ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Sei Flamboyant 5 unlined headless fretless with a shallow lightweight body and Roland hex pickup built in (would be nice if Roland did pickups for specific numbers of strings). Although, as the idea of a signature model is that it sells loads, it would probably be more sensible to go for a Status Stealth to a roughly similar spec, as they should be able to turn out basses quicker than Martin Peterson.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

4D98B177-1039-49B7-B2B8-824AF512774E.thumb.jpeg.129b821a921381c0f6e8fd90360294df.jpeg

this in a blue sparkle...easy

Scuse the crude 'shop job. I do wish Yamaha would come up with more colours for the BB line. The BB414 Orange was an absolutely lovely finish but they seem to be regressing to offering not much more than black, natural and 3-tone sunbursts these days. Anyway, here's the BB-AT414:

at-bb.jpg

Edited by Baceface
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Baceface said:

Scuse the crude 'shop job. I do wish Yamaha would come up with more colours for the BB line. The BB414 Orange was an absolutely lovely finish but they seem to be regressing to offering not much more than black, natural and 3-tone sunbursts these days. Anyway, here's the BB-AT414:

at-bb.jpg

Oh my god!

1 minute ago, Baceface said:

You should really pick up a tatty, old 414 and get it refinished in that colour. Guess it could be done for £400 all in? It'd be a splendid one-off and no mistake.

Ssh. Credit card is twitching. Need to move on the Fender I bought the other night after too much wine. Then...I’ll do it.

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Ssh. Credit card is twitching. Need to move on the Fender I bought the other night after too much wine. Then...I’ll do it.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who has purchases “created” by too much wine :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Merton said:

I know. It’s the fact that I didn’t expect to be the top bid.

And I’m sure it’s lovely, but I have no need for it. Dangerous with half a brain me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Merton said:

We've all done it. I have a Squier Classic Vibe strat somewhere that I bought because they're such amazing value. Having too many bottles of Belgian beer inside me rendered me immune to the point that something only represents "value" if you're actually going to use in in some way, as opposed to sticking it in a cupboard for 10 years.

Still, the odd Trappist ale assisted Squier isn't too much of a problem. It's when you sink three bottles of Rioja and start picking up Custom Shop Fender basses that it can become an issue! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I know. It’s the fact that I didn’t expect to be the top bid.

And I’m sure it’s lovely, but I have no need for it. Dangerous with half a brain me.

That tends to be my downfall too. The last two Ashdown heads were certainly that :D

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

There it is! Wooooohooo! Sims do a mean sparkle...

I've just had a look on their site. That candy apple green sparkle Music Man is pretty saucy. The flip-flop finish on the Fly guitar is pretty special too.
If I were you, I'd put either the wine or the credit card away for the rest of the evening. Just in case things get out of control. Again.

• Haha 2

Assuming we're in some parallel universe where I was vaguely competent then I would love to be associated with a 24 fret neck through J Type bass with a natural (satin finish).  And if I could persuade Mr ACG to make me a NT bass then I feel sure that would be the brand on the headstock.  Maybe something like this with additional frets :)

1754194008_RetroB03.thumb.jpg.a24d8f18857cd4398a2c7883f62763c8.jpg

• Like 2