Why become a member? ×

What would your signature instrument be?

AngelDeVille

The signature thread got me thinking....

If I were famous (for music) my signature instrument would be...

Bass guitar...

Some form of Fender Pbass... a combination of these two.. MIM or MIJ

Definitely a reverse telecaster headstock,  rebranded quarter pounderish pickup, fretted or fretless options, color choice of Olympic White, Shell Pink or Lake Placid Blue, anodized pink or gold pickguard.

9-EC7-C04-A-AB7-B-4-AB0-82-AA-900-D304-F

6 string guitar...

USA Gibson only, no imports...

Flying V.  57 paf pickups, bigsby, color choices, Polaris White, Baby Pink or Pelham Blue. Checkered pickguard.

20190429-204625-2.jpg

20190429-205150-2.jpg

or an SG, same specs....

20190429-203444-2.jpg

Harmonica.....

Rebrand a Hohner Toot’s Theilmans Hard Bopper, and we are golden...

20181114-082059-2.jpg

20181120-222225.jpg

What would your signature model be?

Edited by AngelDeVille
  • Like 1

Fender: I'd get Fender to make a Daphne blue JMJ bass without the relic/roadwear - equivalent to either a N.O.S or closet classic. Also an Olympic white version.

Gibson: I'd get them to make a Gibson version of the Epiphone Vintage Pro Thunderbird. Sunburst nitro finish, and with the missing bits included: bridge/pickup covers, string mute & rosewood tugbar. Strung with Ernie Ball 40-60-70-95 cobalt flats and upgraded with Gotoh GB640 non-reverse res-o-lite tuners.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard
  • Like 1

A Bass VI derived from the Gus Guitars G3 30" Baritone design, but with a wider neck (closer to classical guitar neck measurements than standard electric guitar width as found on most bass VIs). Three single coil pickups each routable to one of two outputs. Master volume control for each output.

• Like 3

In terms of a bass based on designs I already have: 

Vigier Excess, but with the Vigier Arpege pickups and EQ system. Figured walnut top. I would also have two of them to fit my two opposing musical interests. One strung with light 100-40 strings for funk and tappy chordy folky stuff, one with 120-50 strings tuned to C sharp for Sabbath and fuzzed out doom. I would be a happy fellow.

• Like 1

Realistically speaking, I think I'd go for a passive, four string bass with Bartolini humbuckers, a Babicz bridge and an ebony fretboard. 

In the world of dreams, I would have a Spector with a Modulus thru neck (basically quilted maple wings joined to the exposed graphite cricket bat, like an old Status Series II). It would be passive, with Bartolini soapbars or J singlecoils, and gold hardware. That would be my lottery win commission. 

• Like 1

I have zero interest in my signature bass appealing to anyone other than me.

The whole point of having a signature instrument is that it provides something that is not already available or easily achievable with DIY mods. That's why I mostly fail to understand what is "signature" about most Fender signature instruments.

• Like 1

I'm essentially a Precision player at heart, but if someone said "What is your signature bass"...in many ways, like the thread is doing...I'd say the Lakland 44-94 they built on my request. Basically a modern passive P/J bass with that fantastic 44-94 fret access:

IMG_1303.thumb.jpg.f324f1ac87a0f2489e9cae581cca2757.jpg

IMG_7486.thumb.JPG.a1e5c092f36ee80f8d2b484f32e64e38.JPG

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 4

Mine would be a relic, very relic p bass in sunburst WITH tort. The signature-ness would be a random squiggle in Sharpie on the back of the headstock so that the magic would transfer to the purchaser and they would be able to conquer the world

tongue out of cheek now  

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 1

Mine would be a Fender P/J - with a block & bound neck (like the Squier Classic Vibe in Black has)
But perhaps a Jazz width nut. Maybe with a 3 colour Sunburst body :)

But ask me next week, and it might be a Rosewood board, perhaps with pearl block inlays
Perhaps the week after, the body might be in yellowing Oly white
Then next month, it may have changed to a Jazz, in shell pink
then, the following week...... ;)

• Like 1