Why become a member? ×

zero feedback bidder on ebay?

Jean-Luc Pickguard

I'm selling a few bits & bobs on ebay at the moment ending in a couple of days with the global shipping programme option enabled, so I'd only need to send the package to the UK shipping centre if a non-UK buyer wins the auction. One item (a set of Hipshot HB-2 tuners) has just got its first bid however this is someone whose account was opened in December last year who has zero feedback and is based in Brazil. Should I be concerned about the zero feedback or does the global shipping programme protect me from possible shenanigans if this person wins the auction.

8 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

Wait until the payment has cleared properly and made it into your bank account.  Once it's there, coolio.

Not necessarily. PayPal can recover funds from your bank account. Whilst "everyone has to start somewhere", accepting a bid from someone in Brazil with zero feedback is not a good idea. They may be fine, but if they're not, you've lost your money. If it was me, I'd reject the bid.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks - I've erred on the side of caution and cancelled the bids as I don't know whether the global shipping programme would have protected me against a chargeback.

If it was for something worth a tenner I'd have probably given the benefit of doubt, but I'm not keen on sending a set of Hipshots across the Atlantic if there's a risk of being ripped off.