Why become a member? ×

keeping nickel plated hardware bright

The chrome tuners on my Precision are as bright as they were in 1982 when I bought it, however a Hipshot xtender I had on it has dulled over the years as it has a nickel surface. I got a tube of 'peek' metal polish today as it has some good reviews on amazon and it has the royal warrent so presumably the Queen uses it to shine up her crowns. I used it on the dull nickel of the xtender and it polished up very well removing the dull patina.

The hardware on my thunderbird vintage pro basses is also nickel, so I imagine at some point this will also go a bit dull and will need to be polished out.

Is there anything which can be used to protect nickel hardware from going dull in the first instance or is it just a matter of giving it a polish when it does?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎30‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 17:51, BassBod said:

Alembic used to suggest a wipe of hair conditioner would provide a longer protection for brass tailpieces and bridges...can’t remember any particular brand. 

They certainly did and I think it was VO5 (but a particular variant of that)

• Like 1

I built a black P-bass which has nickel Gotoh reso-lites and a (very limited edition) FCH Babicz nickel bridge and is developing a lovely patina which is far nicer than bright nickel imo

Only when you have mixed fittings can I see a benefit in trying to keep nickel bright - it looks far nicer with a bit of patina

• Like 1