Why become a member? ×

Where to go for custom cabs?

Cat Burrito

Just wondered what experience people had in terms of getting a custom build cab in the UK?

Zilla haven't replied to my email (& looking through Basschat, I'm not alone with that). I'm after getting a sleeve for a bass head with some very specific ideas but don't know who strikes the balance best between quality, price and speed of service.

Thanks in anticipation.

If it's an amp sleeve you are after, Mike Walsh, (Zoot Bass), built me one to my specs a few years back. I am not sure if he is still doing cabs etc or just basses these days but maybe worth a shot.

I never used the sleeve in the end and depending on what you are after this one might suit you. It's made out of his supply of unbelievably lightweight ply.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Chopthebass said:

You could order Bill's plans and have a go at building yourself. They are great instructions and really not that difficult.

Who's Bill? Is there a link. I'm certainly curious, although still scarred by the memories of the string cutter that I made in woodwork back in 1985!

19 minutes ago, Joebethell said:

Try Facebook Messenger for zilla. 

I have had contact with them a number of times and was really pleased with the service I actually own a zilla 2x12 cab. 

I've found that if Zilla are busy, they aren't bothered about bringing in little jobs like amps sleeves.
I had contacted them about my sleeve before going with Mike Walsh, I got a ballpark figure after about 4 unanswered emails, chased it up by phone, which again took several attempts over several days before any one actually picked up, followed by another couple of unanswered emails. Mike swept in, beat the Zilla price and the end product is absolutely fantastic!

Mike also makes very nice cabs too ;) 

Eude

Edited by eude

5 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

Nice job & great thread Painy. Zilla never replied to my email but did read my Messenger, which they couldn't even be bothered to reply to. 

Even a "sorry, can't help" type reply would have been something but I'm seriously disappointed with them. 

Thanks. 🙂

That is a bit disappointing. If it gives you any indication of price this is what they quoted me :-

Screenshot_20191106_224312_com.facebook.orca.jpg

On 30/10/2019 at 01:48, Dan Dare said:

Try Tricky Audio. They are licensed to build Fearless designs and will do many others.

I have two F112 cabs from them and they are probably the last cabs I will ever own.  Really great sound and very portable.

• 1 month later...
On 06/11/2019 at 22:37, Cat Burrito said:

Nice job & great thread Painy. Zilla never replied to my email but did read my Messenger, which they couldn't even be bothered to reply to. 

Even a "sorry, can't help" type reply would have been something but I'm seriously disappointed with them. 

If you run a small business, customer communication should be be your No.1 proactive priority, especially if it's a price quote request.  The golden rule is "lose customers = loss of business"  Or maybe they have a sales prevention officer....... 

• Like 2