Why become a member? ×

New 3Leaf Doom 2

Quatschmacher

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

It didn't give a stable or useful reading when I tried it out. Nowhere near as accurate with tuning pitch as e.g. my Zoom B1-4 or Stomp when I A/B'd them. I've now abandoned using the FI for tuning purposes.

What is the accuracy of the other tuners? The FI is accurate to 3 cents (i.e. three hundredths of a semitone) which is plenty accurate. It’s stable for me.

6 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

What is the accuracy of the other tuners? The FI is accurate to 3 cents (i.e. three hundredths of a semitone) which is plenty accurate. It’s stable for me.

Hey Peter, given that you are finding the FI to work well as a tuner, I've investigated this in a bit more depth to make sure I'm not speaking out of turn! This is what I found:

My Zoom B1-4 was consistent with the tuning on this YouTube tuner which I selected at random, and the strings were also then internally consistent (i.e. 5th fret E = A etc) - although I appreciate such consistency is dependent on the bass being set up properly in the first place.

Applying the same test to the FI tuner, I found that the FI tuned things a notch flat on the G, D, A, E strings and two notches flat on the B string i.e. an in-tune B string using the YouTube tuner and my B1-4 is showing as a one notch flat C note on the FI i.e.the FI is registering something that is in-tune as being #, and something in-tune on the FI would therefore show up as flat on my Zoom B1-4 (and by extension this YouTube tuner).

Edited by Al Krow

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Hey Peter, given that you are finding the FI to work well as a tuner, I've investigated this in a bit more depth to make sure I'm not speaking out of turn! This is what I found:

My Zoom B1-4 was consistent with the tuning on this YouTube tuner which I selected at random, and the strings were also then internally consistent (i.e. 5th fret E = A etc) - although I appreciate such consistency is dependent on the bass being set up properly in the first place.

Applying the same test to the FI tuner, I found that the FI tuned things a notch flat on the G, D, A, E strings and two notches flat on the B string i.e. an in-tune B string using the YouTube tuner and my B1-4 is showing as a one notch flat C note on the FI i.e.the FI is registering something that is in-tune as being #, and something in-tune on the FI would therefore show up as flat on my Zoom B1-4 (and by extension this YouTube tuner).

What does “one notch” represent in terms of cents on that tuner?

When you're using the tuner, you'll see three dash levels to the side of a particular note: high dash, mid (in tune), and low. I'm referring to the difference in these dashes as a "notch".

And when I'm playing a single note (particularly a low B) the level ducks and dives like a pro boxer. Much more stable on my Zoom B1-4.

You not getting any of this on yours?

14 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

When you're using the tuner, you'll see three dash levels to the side of a particular note: high dash, mid (in tune), and low. I'm referring to the difference in these dashes as a "notch".

And when I'm playing a single note (particularly a low B) the level ducks and dives like a pro boxer. Much more stable on my Zoom B1-4.

You not getting any of this on yours?

Is your FI’s tune base set to 440? If you didn’t reset it after updating to v3, it will be sharp. 

16 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Is your FI’s tune base set to 440? If you didn’t reset it after updating to v3, it will be sharp. 

Aha! That makes sense. Do you have to go online to reset it? I guess we should really be having this discussion on the FI thread... apologies to the OP! 

Lol, just checked, you're the OP! 😎 

Edited by Al Krow

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Aha! That makes sense. Do you have to go online to reset it? I guess we should really be having this discussion on the FI thread... apologies to the OP! 

Lol, just checked, you're the OP! 😎 

All in the manual, my friend. Read either the section on the boot menu or the FAQs. 

• Thanks 1

On 16/11/2019 at 19:44, Al Krow said:

Out of interest why doesn't it default to A = 440Hz post v3 upgrade? You'd have thought that would be a pretty obvious thing to do. 

I know I probably answered that on the fi thread, but am repeating in case anyone was reading here - it will default to 440 once you’ve performed a reset once after updating. Basically, there are extra lines of code in v3 so certain parameters are either on code lines that never existed before or are on different, but previously-existing lines. These lines need to be “flushed”. In the case of lines that are patch parameters, this is taken care of when one loads the the new factory soundset. The lines pertaining to global features need to be reset manually or automatically via the boot menu. Once done, it will perform as expected.

Edited by Quatschmacher

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Quatschmacher said:

Am pretty tempted to get one of these after listening back to my old recordings of my Doom, Wonderlove and Octabvre. Don’t have any of them now. 

Yeah I had the wonderlove and Doom with a Cog T65! Sounded awesome.

• 7 months later...