Why become a member? ×

signature basses

BaggyMan

11 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

P.S. @Chiliwailer has first refusal on the 'Purple One' should I ever wish to sell it 🤣 (I have to say that every time I mention it or I get reminded)

Could I take tickets #2 please!! 

what a collection mate!  That Alembic 🤤🤤🤤😍

Edited by bassfan

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Status Chris Wolstenholme - mainly out of curiosity due to the different pick-up positions. The blurb says they are both closer to the neck therefore making the string tension lower and the sound warmer which is a win/win in my book.

I must admit to being extremely tempted by one of these.

• Like 2

I should perhaps also mention that I have a Tom DeLonge strat. Have absolutely no interest in whatever he does musically, but it’s a single humbuckered rock machine. Seymour designed pup and plays beautifully. 

Also I have a Zakk Wylde epiphone les Paul. 

I was working in the guitar shop on the day my nan died and this guitar was delivered on that day. I eventually bought it with some cash that she left me. At the time I liked the way he played and sounded, but now I keep it purely for the sentimental purposes. 

I essentially sought to recreate Jeff Berlin's wonderful tone when I came back to playing. So I sought out a Cort Rithimic and bought a Markbass CMD151P Jeff Berlin combo. I later acquired a Peavey Palaedium, which which Jeff's signature Peavey bass in the 90's. 

I will never part with either instrument. Despite sharing the same basic configuration, they both have their own distinct quality and play brilliantly. 

Ultimately, I think that every player has their own sound and style, and I have never found a signature bass to infringe upon that. A large part of the equation for me was buying the right gear to secure the tone I wanted, and then using that for my own ends. 

On 28/10/2019 at 16:47, Bassfinger said:

Tricky. I'm a big admirer of Phil Lynott's playing.  The downside is I prefer the Jazz to the Precision.  Upside is Lynott used a Jazz early in his career.  Downside is there are few pictures of that particular bass, and zilch information out there to enable me to recreate it.  So, I'm just building a Jazz to suit me instead.

Black with a mirror guard and no-one will be any the wiser

42 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Of course my friend. You are now officially Second Refusal for The Purple One.

Excellent. I’ll put away £1 a month. You might be ready to sell by then. 😂 

@Chiliwailer if you ever end up taking it back can I get first refusal from you please. 😃👍🏻

• Haha 1

I own a Blue Sparkle model Fender Steve Harris.
I've loved the look of them since seeing him with one. Just after my 1st daughter was born in 2010, right when it would have been a good idea to not buy stuff and be around more, I joined a band. I needed a new bass as I only had a cheapy Dean. A few months later I noticed GAK had a SH P in stock and ordered it.

It's a bit showy, bloody obvious where the influence comes from and is damned heavy. But it sounds mighty!!
If I have to get rid of all my basses but one, it'll be the SH P that stays... and the Aria Pro II B&G. 

Other sig basses I'd love to own are:
Al Cisneros Ric
Status Chris Wolstenholme

• Like 2

Since I had my oly white CIJ mustang I've really wanted a 1966 Daphne blue one with lollypop tuners. When the Justin Meldal-Johnsen sig was announced the roadwear initially put me off, but I bought one and the relic job looks much better than some of the photos suggest. I don't know much about Mr M-J or his music but it seems he paid a lot of attention to getting his signature bass to play and sound as good as it looks with things like the thickness of the headstock and the Seymour Duncan pickup wound to sound like his original mustang. If Fender ever approched me to have a signature bass, I'd probably ask them to make a 'closet classic' version of the JMJ - ie without the wear & tear.

I've owned two 'signature models', a James Johnston Squier Jazz and a Tony Butler Vintage V4. Neither was bought because I wanted to sound like either artist but because they came up at the time I was looking for a Jazz/Precision

I owned one of the early Jack Cassady basses, simply because it was the only bass like it on the market at the time. I went as far as to check out his music and it wasn't for me but I did like the bass. Kinda weird to have a signature on the headstock of some guy who's music I didn't much care for.

The Jack Casady is weird because it as actually a signature version of a signature bass (Les Paul). 

Does anyone know what makes the Jack Casady version different from the original Les Paul Signature Bass, other than one has a Gibson logo and the other has an Epiphone one on the headstock?

24 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

The Jack Casady is weird because it as actually a signature version of a signature bass (Les Paul). 

Does anyone know what makes the Jack Casady version different from the original Les Paul Signature Bass, other than one has a Gibson logo and the other has an Epiphone one on the headstock?

Different shape headstock, improved pickup on the Epiphone - JC has said the pickup was weak on the Gibson.

I have a large number of signature basses, but then I have an even larger number of basses!!
Most of them I own because they are excellent instruments and hit the spot with me. Only one or two have I purchased for 'authenticity' because of the tribute band I was involved with or just fancied one.

Used to have: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz, Washburn Pat badger and Fender Duff McKagan. Jazz was just a classic Jazz.... Washburn I bought, didn't get on with and sold for double the price.... and the Fender I bought before they brought a sig model out.

Currently have: Spector 'Ian Hill' Euro, Spector 'Rachel Bolan' Euro, Jackson 'Kip Winger', Peavey 'Rudy Sarzo' & 'Randy Jackson', ESP 'Masayoshi Yamashita', Cort 'Gene Simmons AXE' & 'Gene Simmons Punisher'.

A great bass is a great bass.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Different shape headstock, improved pickup on the Epiphone - JC has said the pickup was weak on the Gibson.

The headstock shape difference is simply because one is the Gibson style headstock and other a Epiphone one, surely?

And AFAICS the pickup is simply a more modern, higher output version of one of the originals that JC liked. Not a massive difference then.