Why become a member? ×

OK who has the heaviest Fender?

Jean-Luc Pickguard

When I bought my first Fender in 1982 at the age of 18 I didn't have a frame of reference for what a bass should weigh, so it didn't strike me as odd that my new precision was rather heavy compare to the cheap jazz copy I was upgrading from. I still have the Precsion but now I know the weight isn't normal and is due to CBS cutting costs and using the cheapest ash rather than the most suitable lightweight swamp ash.

Apart from the non-optimal choice of wood, I've heard a story that CBS also sourced wire for the pickups based on whatever gauge was cheapest rather than what was in the original spec. I had a EMG active pickup in this bass since 1986.

I had to suffer a whole summer of working in Bejam to buy this bass so I'll never sell it despite its shortcomings.

Who else has a bass from this era?

According to my scales my precision weighs a back-breaking 11lb - can anyone beat that?

precision.jpg

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard
typos
  • Like 2

I think the Steve Harris Signature Precision Bass is one fo the heaviest I have ever had the misfortune to pick up. Lovely sound, but that solid Maple body makes for a hefty beast. I think they come in at around 11-12lb?

1 hour ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

When I bought my first Fender in 1982 at the age of 18 I didn't have a frame of reference for what a bass should weigh, so it didn't strike me as odd that my new precision was rather heavy compare to the cheap jazz copy I was upgrading from. I still have the Precsion but now I know the weight isn't normal and is due to CBS cutting costs and using the cheapest ash rather than the most suitable lightweight swamp ash.

Apart from the non-optimal choice of wood, I've heard a story that CBS also sourced wire for the pickups based on whatever gauge was cheapest rather than what was in the original spec. I had a EMG active pickup in this bass since 1986.

I had to suffer a whole summer of working in Bejam to buy this bass so I'll never sell it despite its shortcomings.

Who else has a bass from this era?

According to my scales my precision weighs a back-breaking 11lb - can anyone beat that?

precision.jpg

I have a Precision in the same finish from a similar era. Your bass is looking a lot nicer than mine! I will try and take pics when not at work. Mine is an S9 serial number which means it could have been made from any point from late 1978 to sometime around early 1981 (I have never bothered really researching the exact date of manufacture beyond that). I have owned it since 1999. 

My Precision isn''t too bad in terms of weight. Maybe 9 and a half to 10bs. I have never weighed it but it isn't appreciably heavier than my Les Paul which is about 10 pounds and it is much lighter than my Gibson EB3 which must be around 12 pounds. I don't have a thumb rest or pick up covers though. 

It has probably lost weight on account of bits falling off over the years. 

• Like 1

My one from the same(ish) era. It was in mostly great nick when 13 year old me got it in 1999 for a bit under £400.

Previous owner cut the pick guard into two, presumably to allow for easy access to the jack socket. I resoldered the connection when I got it, not touched it again since.

The lacquer has really started to come off the neck the last few years. I don’t think I will get it refinished though as I’m frightened it would ruin the feel of the neck or the person doing the refinish would make a mess of it. 

Honestly, this is my favourite bass to play even ahead of my other basses. The shape of the neck is perfect for me. I don’t know exactly would carve it is but, but I actually prefer it to the neck carve of more modern Precisions, as well as my Sadowsky Metro Jazz. 

Generally retired it from gigging though as the Sadowsky is so much more reliable at this point. The wear and tear I have added has ruined any potential resale value. However I will never ever sell it anyway and it’s not like it is a 60s Jazz.

Finally the weight, 9lbs 6oz. So pretty damn manageable for me.

7427C686-B0CB-4EF0-A32D-FC0968418C77.thumb.jpeg.fa5372b0d30757d5194c27859167f337.jpeg

28B3B007-F4AD-4AC6-B756-6D516C4FC304.thumb.jpeg.43c5bbd1203e22ca12d4078e8d7a6ac3.jpeg

565FC003-E9A3-4F2E-B0D0-5B4834151334.thumb.jpeg.8c3016d712cb9d2178157087b93d12be.jpeg8A993DB9-0033-4ED7-8076-B1D9CA05D15B.thumb.jpeg.c806b35ddaf4d74a4eb45302a75849b7.jpeg

942E2FDD-826B-485A-A0D8-A4BFE227CEA4.jpeg

• Like 1