Why become a member? ×

Barefaced cabs,my experience

onehandclapping

I use an old jazz with TI flats tone rolled off..I bought a used midget  in pristine condition,did a small gig ,noise issues,(a)and sounded great.The next gig (b) was bigger,it was loud enough but felt it did not have enough depth for me.Next up was a one 10 so added it to the midget ,this gig (c)is pretty loud and I did not like it as much as my Schroeder 1212L that I have used there for years .Then I bought a Super twin used it for gigs b and c,I could not be happier, actually I think it’s awesome.So this week back to gig (a) I used the midget for the first set ,sounded great,used the 10 for the second set and did not find a great deal of difference ,possibly the 10 was a little deeper but overall I think the midget won by a small margin so the one 10 will eventually get sold off.Have to say it again that Super beats any cab I have played and I worked 20 years in a music shop before retiring and have been playing over 50 years

33 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I've played and sold a BB2 and 2 Two10's. They sounded great but I found out my preference was for Super Compacts. I've even sold one of those and now play through an SC and Super Midget.

Put a good sound in and a great sound comes out.

I still have a pair of one10s.  Great cabs for light weight and small size with massive sound.

I also have a BB2 and Super Midget and I think I prefer these cabs.  I like the BB2 for the solid bass and great highs from the horn.  The SM is great for small venues and the BB2 together with the SM will easily cover every gig I'm likely to do.

Frank.

• Like 1

I had a super compact 3.

Very good cab. Great weight. I thought it would be with me forever.

But, I'm afraid, nowhere near as loud or filling when needed as a good 4x10 like they state.

Perfect for small, enclosed, places, but not for bigger stages.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, la bam said:

Perfect for small, enclosed, places, but not for bigger stages.

I am in the same situation. My solution for the stupidly loud bands was to buy a second Super Compact.

The modular approach just seems more logical to me.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, machinehead said:

I still have a pair of one10s.  Great cabs for light weight and small size with massive sound.

I have a pair of one10's. I have gigged them but on listening back to the recordings I decided to stay with the 12's. I'm keeping the one10's as a practice rig. They are permanently set up at home and even at very low volume make a fantastic sound.

I bought a Super Compact 4 years ago. Absolutely loved it. Bought a second one a couple of years back. Sounded superb together. Was a bit overkill for the gigs I was doing and needed the money so I sold it.  Regretted it as one Super Compact just didn't cut it for large venues or loud, large rehearsals.  So just recently bought a Super Twin as the perfect one cab solution.  Waiting for my ABM500 to turn up today. Hopefully it will tick all/most of the boxes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chris_b said:

I have a pair of one10's. I have gigged them but on listening back to the recordings I decided to stay with the 12's. I'm keeping the one10's as a practice rig. They are permanently set up at home and even at very low volume make a fantastic sound.

I agree Chris.  I also prefer my BB2 and SM to the one10s but they are just so useful on tight, small venue stages.  I've been thinking of moving them on but I'm afraid I might regret it and it's not like I need the money. :)  I always take a single one10 to rehearsals, it's just so handy and easily copes for volume.  Like yourself, the other one10 is permanently set up at home.

Frank.

• Like 1

Currently have a One10, a couple of Two10s and a couple of SC3s.  The single 10-incher is a keeper but one pair of cabs will go when I decide which I prefer.  At the moment the SC3s are just edging it (my Eden WT550 sounds SUBLIME thru these) but I'm also experimenting with different amps before I finally decide on the 'stack that rules all stacks' 😊

Edited by scrumpymike

2 hours ago, Urban Bassman said:

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Super Twin myself...is three week delivery relalistic?

Yes that’s a pretty good turnaround, I waited a fair while for a cab from BF - nit a criticism btw, more like praise for having such good products.

My experience with BF cabs has been all good. I have replaced two of my Mesa boogie Powerhouse cabs with them and they certainly deliver a much better cleaner sound. Not that there is anything wrong with the sound of the boogie cabs. I just wanted to downsize to lighter cabs and get a better off axis sound with a fuller bottom end. I have three bf cabs (big Twin II, Big Baby II and Dubster 2)  and I can't think of a situation I would play in that I wouldn't be able to cover with those three. I did a dep gig at the weekend with a Ska reggae band and the loved the sound.  I can highly recommend at least the ones I have experience with.