Why become a member? ×

End of my bass playing days are looming Update.

Bassman Sam

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Bassman Sam said:

Hi Teebs, got my CT scan on 19th of this month and the follow up with the surgeon on 20th December. I'll keep everyone posted. Oh, and thanks for asking mate.

I'm having to put back my CT scan until January as my work won't let me have the time off. That there are too many people off on these dates and knocked back my leave request. Richard heads. Looks like I'll be pulling a few sick days in revenge.

• Sad 5

There's a guy in a blues band in Birmingham who can't use his right hand (I presume from a stroke), but continues to play bass by using hammer-ons and pull-offs with his left hand. If I'd closed my eyes, I would never have realised.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bassman Sam said:

I saw my surgeon this morning and I'm having another metal bar inserted in my right wrist. I'll have to wait for around 5 months for the op and then 6 weeks recovery time. If it works as well as the last one, I should be back playing by the summer. Heres hoping.

Good news! Roll on summer...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Wishing you all the best for your bass playing future.

My lad was sent home from work this morning as the guy he works with (and drives the van) lacerated one of his hands with reciprocating hedge trimmers. It makes me ill thinking about the potential loss of anyone’s digits, let alone mine and got me thinking about losing functionality to the extent where I literally couldn’t play any more. A happy bunny it would not make me. Glad to hear there is light at the end of your tunnel 👊

Thanks mate.

16 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Wishing you all the best for your bass playing future.

Glad to hear there is light at the end of your tunnel 👊

^^ This.. 

Thanks for sharing your story @Bassman Sam and best of luck with the op next year! 

Maybe I'm feeling a bit reflective this morning after a really good gig last night, but reading about what you've been through - and are still going through with this situation - has made realise just how lucky I've been in terms of health and playing music.. 

As Joni said, 'you don't know what you've got till it's gone.' 

Merry Xmas btw Folks and here's to some positive outcomes for all of us next year ! 🎄😊

• Like 2