Why become a member? ×

Farwest Redhead - Sold
£675
Bristol

You don’t see these very often!

This is a handmade ‘stick’ upright bass. Built by a truly lovely chap in Cornwall the Farwest EUB is beautifully constructed (full specs below) from premium components.

This is a Redhead model and is in good condition, although it has been gigged. There is some wear on the side of the fingerboard and a few minor marks, but nothing major at all.

There are two pickups that offer a decent approximation of an upright sound. The all important waist rest is a revelation and works beautifully, flexing as you get higher up the fingerboard.

I bought this on eBay about 5 months ago. I swapped the strings and had the rest rebuilt by Farwest (receipt included).

I’m selling because the MK bass you can see on the background of the picture suits me better and has a more authentic tone (at almost 4 time’s the price).

Not all stick basses are made equal. For little more than the price of a Stagg you can have a boutique handmade bass.

Im always interested in trades. I’m up for anything!

Price is £675. 

This is about half the cost of the one for sale in London.

Luthier’s specs:

General features of FarWest upright electric bass

Canadian rock Maple and Sapele construction

Twin custom made under bridge piezo pickups

Recessed flush angled ¼? jack socket

Quality metal control knobs

Stylish & smooth low gear elephant ear machine heads for accurate and stable tuning

Three piece laminated neck for strength and stability

Hand carved neck profiled for playing comfort

Maple fingerboard with 120mm radius

1060*mm scale length (3/4 size)

Maple bridge for excellent sound and frequency transmission

Hand contored 5 piece body

Sturdy light weight and adjustable end pin with rubber foot

Fingerboard reference edge markers

Detachable support rest

Ebony nut

Light 6.4kg weight

_Includes soft padded case

2F13D23F-A7D7-410B-9D48-958714F4CD65.jpeg

18B24A40-E3ED-4857-8E1F-9F53333D2FFA.jpeg

621AB981-2320-4837-84BB-189090403571.jpeg

4BAB17B8-17CB-4CC5-9E87-7ED3FA93A65F.jpeg

03EBCB40-6C76-4092-A240-8F2560C3453C.jpeg

AB8B3F75-7655-4DD5-8921-39555128B60D.jpeg

9B58C03D-154E-4AE1-AD22-BDC01E45B51E.jpeg

D087E73A-AAAC-4B70-BD40-26AD0B88F237.jpeg

Edited by Burns-bass
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Creeper said:

Typical, I’ve been looking for a used one of these for a while and gave up, bought a KK baby bass last week instead.

What a shame! They’re quite rare. I think he only makes a handful every year. If you don’t get on with the KK let me know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 27/10/2019 at 19:21, Burns-bass said:

I’m selling because the MK bass you can see on the background of the picture suits me better and has a more authentic tone (at almost 4 time’s the price).

Interesting, how would you compare with the Eminence?

5 hours ago, therealting said:

Interesting, how would you compare with the Eminence?

Hey. How you liking the Eminence?

Theyre difficult to compare but I would say that the Mk more accurately represents a DB. Better neck, full size bridge and a thicker soundboard. The Eminence is beautifully made and the acoustic nature of it more accurately represents the sound of a DB I reckon (but not by much!). Where the MK wins is the body shape that’s really very close to a proper DB, certainly more so than the Eminence and the SLB which is why I prefer it. It’s less portable than the Eminence however and obviously the neck can’t be removed for transport. 

It’s all personal preference of course, and the Eminence is a beautifully made instrument that is used by a whole host of professionals - they must know something!

If you’re ever in Bristol let me know and you can come and give it a play. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, therealting said:

Thanks for the info and kind offer @Burns-bass! Still loving the Eminence and on balance I think it probably fulfils all my needs for an electric upright. I’ve recently got a ToneDexter which I am curious to try with it to see whether I can get a woodier tone from the pickup. 

The Eminence is a thing of beauty! Still enjoy the image of you putting it in that beautiful car 🙂

• Rich locked this topic