Why become a member? ×

sai folded horn

John F

Hi has anybody seen one of these cabs before because i was suprised to find sai orange cabs did not know they did them 1978 cab 200w gauss 18"

I have done quite a bit to it because it was in very poor condition bought it from a bass player. been all over the world with it so he said.

Sai folded bin 18 001.JPG

Sai folded bin 18 005.JPG

sai refit 19-10-2019 001.JPG

sai refit 19-10-2019 003.JPG

• Like 3

Hi Three

Yes you are correct it is very heavy 18mm birch ply this was made by Sai chorley they built mainly band equipment 4x12s etc but when disco took off they had a go at that as well top quailty gear without a doubt.still use mine.

plus amp heads bass ,bass/treble

But this is different because its orange and everything else they did was black or dark grey but all their cabinets were ply and heavy and sound fantastic and very punchy, for a 200w cab this rattles things. 

And the pictures are of my 4 Sai ported bins which are 1000w RMS each

regards John

SAI ported bins 1.jpg

SAI ported bins 2.jpg

• Like 1

Dear me, what a collection.  This all makes sense - I used to see a lot of Sai cabs around Manchester, where I lived in the '70s and '80s - I've returned now, though not so many Sai cabs.  I had no idea that Sai was a Chorley firm.  I saw both the disco and band gear but never anything in Orange - a special order no doubt.  Those four ported bins look astounding.  I used to work with a very similar pair, though JBL loaded with on board horns (as the Sai design).  They were immensely heavy but sounded fantastic - great for smallish FOH use.  Lovely to see some of this vintage gear in such good condition, and hopefully still earning its keep.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Yes they are, but the two in the bottom picture have been refurbished to some extent i just finished them this morning  they look quite good and sound excellent.

I have removed the round speaker grills and re meshed the baffle as it would have been repaired the covering as much as i could but a recover for all 4 is on the cards when i have time to start and finish them.

first SAI speaker refurbishment 17-11-2019 009.JPG

first SAI speaker refurbishment 17-11-2019 005.JPG

first SAI speaker refurbishment 17-11-2019 011.JPG

first SAI speaker refurbishment 17-11-2019 013.JPG

first SAI speaker refurbishment 17-11-2019 012.JPG

first SAI speaker refurbishment 17-11-2019 006.JPG

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

The Disco I worked on used SAI equipment. The decks were constantly upgraded to keep them up to the highest quality/standard possible. I think we even tried B&O decks at one time and a 16(?) band graphic equaliser was added and we pushed the power out through two180419_191358120891185_7860442_n.jpg?_nc Hi-Watt valve amps into SAI Orange 15" bass bins which had a single horn across the top width of the cabinet119171450_4086680408025584_9323852727787

Edited by Ady B
added another piccy :|
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 22/12/2019 at 14:54, John F said:

Hi i have just aquired a 2x12 with horns sai cabinet and am refurbishing it when done i will post the pictures loaded with fane 50w speakers and horns original i am pretty sure sounds great but in bits at the moment.

Merry christmas everybody

Hi John, 

I have just come across this post. 
I am very interested in the SAI 2x12 pa speakers. Do you have any pictures of them yet / or diamentions ? I think they might be ported at the front ? I have 2 2x12s cabs ( be bop deluxe ) and am looking for another 

thanks 

Andy 

On 22/12/2019 at 14:54, John F said:

Hi i have just aquired a 2x12 with horns sai cabinet and am refurbishing it when done i will post the pictures loaded with fane 50w speakers and horns original i am pretty sure sounds great but in bits at the moment.

Merry christmas everybody

Hi John, 

I have just come across this post. 
I am very interested in the SAI 2x12 pa speakers. Do you have any pictures of them yet / or diamentions ? I think they might be ported at the front ? I have 2 2x12s cabs ( be bop deluxe ) and am looking for another 

thanks 

Andy 

On 27/10/2019 at 18:36, John F said:

Hi has anybody seen one of these cabs before because i was suprised to find sai orange cabs did not know they did them 1978 cab 200w gauss 18"

I have done quite a bit to it because it was in very poor condition bought it from a bass player. been all over the world with it so he said.

Sai folded bin 18 001.JPG

Sai folded bin 18 005.JPG

sai refit 19-10-2019 001.JPG

sai refit 19-10-2019 003.JPG

wow!!

I absolutely love the look of this cab.

Absolutely impractical for any musical context I'm in though.

• Like 1