Why become a member? ×

TRADED - Warwick Dolphin 4 SN TCS - £1300 or Stingray trade
£1300
York, UK

Groatsworth

For sale is my beloved Warwick Dolphin SN TCS 4 string (set neck, tone chamber system). I bought it in 2008 and it was my main bass until a couple of years ago. Only selling because I've gotten more traditional in my old age, and since buying a Precision, the Dolphin doesn't get enough play given its value. That, and because I'm buying a house. I'm sure it will make someone else just as happy as it has me.

Specs from the Warwick website below. I have recently upgraded the just-a-nut II to a just-a-nut III - it's simply better. The hooks on the side of the II had cracked, a fault to which they are prone. Strings are new and the set up is just as I like it (fairly low). There are some slight scratches (pictured) - most notably, one on the back and one on the truss rod cover. The afzelia body has a lovely tight grain and rich reddish colour. In all, it is in good condition and a great, fast player with versatile tones that are thick, rich and focused. It can come close to a Warwick Thumb with it's twin jazz bridge pickups, but can also get a great active jazz sound if you pull out the stacked eq pot switch for a single coil setting.

Ovangkol Neck - set in to body

Afzelia body - sandwich construction with tone chambers

Natural oil finish

Wenge fingerboard

34" Scale length

Nut width 1.5"

26 jumbo bronze frets

MEC Jazz pickup and twin jazz pickup.

MEC active electronics - stacked bass and treble.

Stacked pickup blend and master volume.

Both pots are pull out switches - one is active/passive, the other splits the double j for a single coil sound.

I would prefer collection from York, but would be happy to arrange delivery if required. I have a hard case I can ship it in.

Edit 14th November - now open to trade with the right Stingray. Ideally an Old Smoothie but would consider alternatives.

image.thumb.jpeg.3e14c2a8acbba47837d0822a76873bcc.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b7d33ac40991a1266ad73fea1cf83ec7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2c20073cb7ae5aa809253cb60cce7e60.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.45a147bba0e670dd04ab229870032914.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.02d786fe0383ab844b968d90c0f0d112.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ac8f2a8e4b2dfd22b1465a31401c9fe0.jpeg

Edited by Groatsworth
  • Like 6

When I started playing again - ooh about 10 years ago - I bought one of these. It was the only Warwick that I've ever got on with. Beautifully balanced, great neck (though some prefer the fatter neck) it played like a dream.

I struggled finding a tone that I could stick with - would find one I loved, two weeks later I'd adjust something and found one I preferred. Found this frustrating - eventually sold it to a fella in Oz on the Warwick forum.

IIRC mine was more heavily grained/ figured - shouldn't be a deal breaker for an interested buyer.

GLWTS

On 27/10/2019 at 15:51, TheGreek said:

I struggled finding a tone that I could stick with - would find one I loved, two weeks later I'd adjust something and found one I preferred.

So it's TOO versatile? I actually know what you mean. Maybe why I like P basses so much now. For someone who is after a wide range of tweakable tones, it will be great. 

On 27/10/2019 at 18:10, DoubleOhStephan said:

The exact reason I can't take this off your hands now, even though I've been coveting one for years 😩 

But surely the only reason to buy a house is to fill it with basses? 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, flippyfloop said:

Always wanted a Dolphin. I assume it's pretty heavy ? The two I tried were lovely but super heavy.

No, not super heavy. This model is chambered. I'm away from home this weekend, but happy to weigh as best I can on the bathroom scales when I get back.

• 2 weeks later...

7 hours ago, flippyfloop said:

Did you find out the weight ? Cheers.

9lbs. Sorry, I was discussing a trade - which didn't work out - and forgot I'd said I'd do this.

My bathroom scales also told me I need to start running again.

1 hour ago, vmaxblues said:

4 or 5 string stingray?

4 string please! I have a lovely Yamaha BB that satisfies my 5 string needs.