Why become a member? ×

Suggestions for compact, good quality practise amp.

G-bitch

Well, thanks for keeping the thread alive!

I've been put off the line 6 from reviews and comments. The roland is a bit big for my liking but I could give the 30w model a blast, not sure I'm all that keen on modelling shenanigans though.

Here's one last thing that I didn't mention, and it's totally fickle - Some of these amps are so friggin' ugly! You know the saying "If it don't look dope, I don't wanna rock it"

[quote name='Hamster' post='39628' date='Jul 31 2007, 05:29 PM']I've seen/heard a lot worse than this [url="http://www.soundcontrol.co.uk/mod_1/pages/mod_1.12/pages/mod_1.12.1/pages/mod_1.12.1.1/pages/index.php?sku=1.1.2.3.1-14-16640"]Lowdown 110[/url]

Hamster[/quote]

And I bought one for just this. I intend to put a review up soon but it is still really new to me and I am getting to grips with it (or at least I would be if I weren't away on holiday :) ). It's great. I love the R&B model. And you can play the theme tune from "Rhubarb and Custard" with the synth :huh:
Also it is surprisingly loud when you wind it up.

[quote name='G-bitch' post='42763' date='Aug 8 2007, 09:41 AM']Well, thanks for keeping the thread alive!

I've been put off the line 6 from reviews and comments. The roland is a bit big for my liking but I could give the 30w model a blast, not sure I'm all that keen on modelling shenanigans though.

Here's one last thing that I didn't mention, and it's totally fickle - Some of these amps are so friggin' ugly! You know the saying "If it don't look dope, I don't wanna rock it"[/quote]

I wouldn't recommend being swayed one way or the other by the reviews on the Line 6 Lowdown Studio 110. People seem to be more or less equally split on whether it's a good/bad amp.

It's definitely well worth checking one out for yourself and make up your own mind, regardless of the reviews. It's well put together and IMHO it's one of the tidiest looking amps I've seen in a long time.

[quote name='steve-norris' post='42647' date='Aug 7 2007, 09:30 PM']peted , i bet you feel quite smug using it through the PA especially if your guit*r player has a big heavy rig :)[/quote]
Bearing in mind that this is supposed to be a [i]metal[/i] band they all scoffed when I put down my tiny little combo. Kept up easily with the guitarist and his all valve 100 Watt head when put through the PA. They didn't think anything else of it now that I take it along to every practice. I've promised them I'll use my big rig for gigs though.

Just a quick anti-recommendation. Don't go anywhere near the HiWatt Maxwatt B20. I've just tried one. It stinks worse than a very stinky thing that's been left out to go bad and then painted with sewage just to make sure. :)

Edited by Oxblood

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys, I picked up a Line6 110 at the weekend from the family music shop in Bristol (Mickleburgh's Pianos) seeing as Fair Deal couldn't get it in anytime this month. That amp is seriously awesome, can't believe how much nice clean power it puts out! Oh and I got a discount too so it was only £155.

I am chuffed.

[quote name='G-bitch' post='48192' date='Aug 21 2007, 10:25 AM']Well guys, I picked up a Line6 110 at the weekend from the family music shop in Bristol (Mickleburgh's Pianos) seeing as Fair Deal couldn't get it in anytime this month. That amp is seriously awesome, can't believe how much nice clean power it puts out! Oh and I got a discount too so it was only £155.

I am chuffed.[/quote]
Congratulations on your purchase. May it inspire you to practice all spare hours in the day!

Well done that man - as I live in Northern Ireland I have virtually zero chance of playing bass gear that I'd be interested in buying, so most of my purchases are over t'internet. If I hadn't been talked into keeping my Ashdown ABM 1x10 combo I'd be very interested in one of these (I'd already done the whole research phase of the purchase, which is why I pointed you in the Lowdown 110 direction - it's what I was going to buy!)...

ABM 1x10 - nice. Still couldn't ever bring myself to buy an Ashdown after a bad experience many years ago; and my prejudice was in place looong before they had a MAG range made in China and anyone questioned their reliability! Funny really; everyone just assumed they'd be as bomb-proof as Trace Elliots were.

They look (on paper) to be about the perfect compromise between volume, tone and size.

I've been looking for something that could cope with rehearsals (quietish ones) and this might just be perfect - I'd be really interested to know how it copes with volume - what are the chances of it competing with a drummer?

Cheers
John

I popped into the local shop and tried the lowdown 110 - I thought it sounded really good for the size but just wasn't loud enough for what I need. So I think I'll have to up the budget to get something tiny and loud.

Do let us know how you get on with the 110 after you've had time to get used to it.

Cheers
John