Why become a member? ×

Focusrite problem

bertbass

Hi all, I have a problem with my saffire pro 40 and pro 14 interfaces.  I'll tell you what I've done first and then explain my problem if I may.

I have connected my Macbook pro to my saffire pro 40 with a firewire lead.  Another firewire lead from the saffire pro 40 to the saffire pro 14.  All the lights show that they are connected.  However, when I open mix control, I can only set it to either the pro 40 or pro 14.  The pro 40 shows only 8 analogue inputs and the pro 14 only shows 4 analogue inputs.  I want to record with 11 inputs hence connecting the 2 interfaces together.

Where have I gone wrong and is it even possible to do what I want to do.  Do I have to buy a new interface so that I can connect the 2 together with an optical cable.  I am confused!

On 26/10/2019 at 16:21, bertbass said:

Hi all, I have a problem with my saffire pro 40 and pro 14 interfaces.  I'll tell you what I've done first and then explain my problem if I may.

I have connected my Macbook pro to my saffire pro 40 with a firewire lead.  Another firewire lead from the saffire pro 40 to the saffire pro 14.  All the lights show that they are connected.  However, when I open mix control, I can only set it to either the pro 40 or pro 14.  The pro 40 shows only 8 analogue inputs and the pro 14 only shows 4 analogue inputs.  I want to record with 11 inputs hence connecting the 2 interfaces together.

Where have I gone wrong and is it even possible to do what I want to do.  Do I have to buy a new interface so that I can connect the 2 together with an optical cable.  I am confused!

It’s been a LONG time since I’ve done anything with Saffires, and i’m obviously not at work at the moment to check with the Tech Team, but i’m pretty sure that within Dual Mode you can only switch between the two units in Mix Control as you describe, it was part of the restrictions that we weren’t able to get around with those units (now discontinued).

If you haven’t see already, there is a full guide to Dual Unit mode here:

https://resource.focusrite.com/sites/default/files/focusrite/downloads/20956/saffire-dual-unit-en.pdf

There’s also a guide to setting up the channels in your DAW, although be aware this is written as if two Pro40’s are being used, so the channel counts will be different with one Pro40 and a Pro14:

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207546605-Why-can-t-I-hear-my-second-Pro-40-in-Dual-Unit-Mode-

Let us know how you get on, and if still no luck, then let me know and I can get someone from Tech Support to contact you when you’re with the setup :)

Si //Focusrite

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 1

Ultimately, it’s less important what’s happening in Mix Control (That’s essentially just a monitoring and routing tool), it’s about how you set the inputs up in your DAW.

As I said, drop me a message if you get stuck, and i’ll get the Tech Support team to get in touch to help set it up :)

Si // Focusrite

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 1

Stupid question time alert!!!

The Safire Pro 14 has 2 inputs on the front with gain controls and has a further 2 line inputs on the back without gain controls.  It also has a 2 channel S/PDIF output.  The S/PDIF outputs a stereo signal if I've read it correctly.  Where does the input for the S/PDIF outputs come from?  Is it from the 2 inputs on the front or the line inputs on the back or somewhere else entirely, or have I no understanding of this at all.

On 27/10/2019 at 15:53, bertbass said:

Stupid question time alert!!!

The Safire Pro 14 has 2 inputs on the front with gain controls and has a further 2 line inputs on the back without gain controls.  It also has a 2 channel S/PDIF output.  The S/PDIF outputs a stereo signal if I've read it correctly.  Where does the input for the S/PDIF outputs come from?  Is it from the 2 inputs on the front or the line inputs on the back or somewhere else entirely, or have I no understanding of this at all.

You could route whatever audio you want to any of the outputs via Mix Control. So if you wanted, you could send a couple of channels of audio from your DAW out of the SPDIF outputs, or indeed you could route any of the analogue inputs of the interface out of the SPDIF out, or any of the outs. They're just ins and outs, Mix Control allows you to route the audio as you wish, you could simply consider the interface as a junction box in that regard.

It's worth noting that the SPDIF is a digital in and out, so while the connection looks like a standard RCA, you would need a specific SPDIF cable to utilise it, and similarly connect it to another unit that has a SPDIF connection, not just RCA in/out.

There's a full rundown of how to use Mix Control on page 11 here: https://customer.focusrite.com/sites/customer/files/focusrite/downloads/7235/userguidesaffirepro14eng02.pdf

Anything else, just let me know :)

Si // Focusrite

Edited by Sibob