Why become a member? ×

Done! Done! On to the next one...

Rexel Matador

With the body drying, and me not really feeling up to a full-on neck carving session, I've done a little work on the headstock.

20191109_170017.thumb.jpg.7e820009cab3f7a5bcf790d75e42746e.jpg

I had the image in my head but I just couldn't get the angles to work on paper. It took me way too long to realise 3+1 was the obvious solution. An what's more, the person I bought the tuners from on ebay sent me the extra bass side one for free! I can't tell you how many times I checked and double checked that, due to the orientation,  I actually needed a treble side one for the bass side. I almost got caught out with my reverse headstock build, realising about a second before hitting "pay now" that I would need left handed tuners!

Anyway, I'm pretty pleased with it. It's starting to make sense visually with the tuners in place. I still need to carve a ramp of sorts into the top to accommodate the strings running down to the tuners.

• Like 3

Just spent about an hour with youtube and a multimeter trying to figure out the colour code of the wires in a Wilkinson humbucker. Finally got it figured out, went to fit it and there was a little slip of paper in the bag with the screws with the colour code already on it 😂

Two positives though: 1) it's cool that they do that now because judging by what people have written in various places online, they haven't always, and 2) I got it right, which means I'm gradually getting the hang of this arcane world of wiring 😀

• Like 3

I have no idea why I routed the pickup cavity so close to the bridge. i think I just got mixed up with all the various pencil lines I'd drawn on it for various things! I'm thinking I'll maybe need to add another one closer to the neck, but I'm not sure I want to risk cutting into an already finished body. I guess I'll just see how it sounds first - it might be ok.

Edited by Rexel Matador

The body is pretty much done. I may add a second pickup but I think I'll see how it sounds first.

20191114_190923.thumb.jpg.d288f0e704dd97053f7f2dcc6f337d80.jpg20191114_191650.thumb.jpg.d0b9a2d7e770bc91ee46ba7bd6086580.jpg

There's only one pot in there because my little push/pull pot adventure was not successful. I have a habit of trying to run before I can walk - so, just a straight volume control this time around.

I've also done a bit more carving on the headstock. It's a shame because I don't think it looks quite as good like this but hey, the thing needs strings, so needs must.

20191114_191020.thumb.jpg.9a08e20d4aa63d5862ac443296d5e2be.jpg

• Like 3

Well, here we are, pretty much done. She's a bit noisy, so I might have another look at the shielding but otherwise all is well. It's all trial and error for me anyway. Short scale, flat wounds and a thumb rest are all new to me, so frankly it feels bloody weird, but I'm already getting used to it after playing for half an hour or so.

The headstock has worked out a treat though - the ramp was just deep enough.

Forgive the inconsistency in the colours - the camera on my phone is crap and I was trying to get a good representation of the actual colour, to no avail. It's a lot more ribena-ish than it looks here. It's really nice, you'll just have to trust me 🤣

As always, thanks for joining me along the way. I think I need a break from building so I can actually play the things, but I'm sure I'll be back before long. I mean, I even have a spare pickup lying around so...

20191120_210026.thumb.jpg.ae3d2abbfa522e4786fd469ad54a8053.jpg20191120_210046.thumb.jpg.0709f0dc99a14a5cb6f040880faedbb4.jpg20191120_210104.thumb.jpg.899cd81e9776dde10325e1e469c2de08.jpg20191120_210132.thumb.jpg.b97dc5931e0b863a1dbccd99f43b1a8a.jpg

Edited by Rexel Matador
  • Like 7

The engineer side of me is twitching because of the angled tuner pegs kinking the strings ever so slightly - but the bit that is bassist and appreciator of all things beautiful swings a wooden mallet to keep it quiet 😉

That is, by miles, the most atractive headstock I have seen on a bass... ever!

I still prefer headless above all else, but if I ever build a bass with a headstock, I'll steal that idea!
Enjoy the break, and may you find playing as enjoyable as I found following the build!