Why become a member? ×

Precision and flats

4 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

They certainly won’t do that they are very smooth and a nice tension 🙂

Sorry to be a pain, but by ‘nice tension’ do you mean not low or high, kinda medium? What are the benefits of lower or higher.? Cheers.

43 minutes ago, casapete said:

Sorry to be a pain, but by ‘nice tension’ do you mean not low or high, kinda medium? What are the benefits of lower or higher.? Cheers.

Hi casapete, although they are called low tension flats they certainly aren’t floppy but they are not as high as the fender flats, so I would say yes , kinda low to medium , I play with a fairly light touch so the benefits for me are they fret very easily with minimal effort and  suit my playing style .  After being on quite a string quest  the last few years it’s nice to find a set that feel good 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Hi casapete, although they are called low tension flats they certainly aren’t floppy but they are not as high as the fender flats, so I would say yes , kinda low to medium , I play with a fairly light touch so the benefits for me are they fret very easily with minimal effort and  suit my playing style .  After being on quite a string quest  the last few years it’s nice to find a set that feel good 🙂

Thanks , will be looking at getting some flats soon so much appreciated. Cheers.

• Like 1

I bought a bass to go with my set of Pyramids, and I'll be able to switch them between my favorite Pbass, and my new Jazz since they have standard Fender headstocks.

I only have had one set of Labellas ever and I really didn't like them.  They are double ball end, and they were unravelling past the nut and saddles.  And they sounded very clunky, and not in a good way.  One set is not a true picture of the brand, but there are too many other good choices to give them another shot.

Like roundwounds, flatwound strings differ a lot depending on manufacturer. There may be even more variation than between those roundwounds. There'll also be the differing subjective experience of the player and differences emanating from one bass or another.

Some examples: a Rotosound Jazz flatwound will never feel like a TI Jazz flat; the La Bella 1954 set is hardly like GHS Precision flats; Ernie Ball Cobalt flats really do not sound like Pyramid Gold flats.

But, I'd say, whichever flatwounds you decide to try, you'll always need to give them a little time to settle in, to find out how they will actually feel, how they will actually sound.

A couple of months should suffice. 😏

• Like 2

On 26/10/2019 at 14:57, dmccombe7 said:

I've not had flats on a bass since early 80's with my P fretless.

Always seems to be a P bass with flats. 

I'm quite curious to see where this goes but also curious as to whether they sound good on other types of basses like Sandberg VM4 or even a Jazz bass

Dave

Flats on a Jazz- always sounded to me like Gary Thain used flats, but I could be wrong. Ditto JPJ and Lenny Kravitz, although I read a JPJ interview where he said he didn’t use flats on the Jazz as they were “too dull”.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Flats on a Jazz- always sounded to me like Gary Thain used flats, but I could be wrong. Ditto JPJ and Lenny Kravitz, although I read a JPJ interview where he said he didn’t use flats on the Jazz as they were “too dull”.

Always been a big fan of Gary Thain and never really gave that a thought. Coming from a more Jazz influenced background he might well have used them for recording but rounds for live work.

I'd be curious to find out what Gary used tho.

I read JPJ moved to Elixir strings because they were easier on his fingers and lasted longer. Maybe it was a sponsorship thing and he was just selling the product in an interview ?

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

Well the set of LaBella Low Tension Flats I ordered arrived today. I've put them on my Steve Harris P and what can I say, an absolute revelation!

The only time I'd tried flats previously was when I'd bought a bass where they were already fitted, or at a jam night etc. I'd liken my previous experiences to trying to play coat-hanger wire.

These however feel and sound superb and the tension is fine for me (I do like pretty light strings). I'm really loving the sound. Embarrassingly it's like a penny has dropped and I've finally realised what all the fuss is about with flats. It's the P sound and I'd not really appreciated the almost fretless mwahh quality you get, plus the difference in sound when really digging in.

I'm very pleased with them and they'll certainly be staying in place. May even try a set on the Stingray too.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Deedee said:

Well the set of LaBella Low Tension Flats I ordered arrived today. I've put them on my Steve Harris P and what can I say, an absolute revelation!

The only time I'd tried flats previously was when I'd bought a bass where they were already fitted, or at a jam night etc. I'd liken my previous experiences to trying to play coat-hanger wire.

These however feel and sound superb and the tension is fine for me (I do like pretty light strings). I'm really loving the sound. Embarrassingly it's like a penny has dropped and I've finally realised what all the fuss is about with flats. It's the P sound and I'd not really appreciated the almost fretless mwahh quality you get, plus the difference in sound when really digging in.

I'm very pleased with them and they'll certainly be staying in place. May even try a set on the Stingray too.

They’re my go to and deffo try it on a Ray. It’s bloody epic and I don’t ‘do’ Rays 🤘

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Same for me Deedee, I initially bought a set for my P bass, but out of interest I tried them on my Sandberg, and loved them, now I’ve got to buy more 😂

5 minutes ago, walshy said:

They’re my go to and deffo try it on a Ray. It’s bloody epic and I don’t ‘do’ Rays 🤘

This could get expensive! 😂

• Haha 1

When I put flats on my Precision it sounded fatter and fuller with a more authoritative sound. I thought if they make a P bass sound this good I'll put them on my Jazz. I was disappointed, because flats seemed to take away the dynamics that the rounds gave the Jazz.

A note about Joe Osborne and his tone. He asked Fender for a Precision and they sent him a Jazz, so he only ever used the neck pickup.

11 hours ago, Deedee said:

Are these the 42 - 100s? Around £43? I suppose I'll have to try them - using EB Cobalts  at the moment, and been happy with some 45-100 Fenders on a fretless I got recently but always up for trying strings... gets expensive though.

I do check the US prices as I can get them brought over. EBs seem to be around $35 but the LaBellas (just a first look) $45. Fender 45-100s $17👍(All those $ prices from Strings and Beyond, not hunted around yet). 
Makes the Fenders a bargain at a bit over £13 a set. Was planning a bulk order of EBs but I might try a set of La Bellas, I know @Sibob is a fan and there's a demo of them on a P and a Lakland here (but don't recall if these LaBellas are the low tension). Anyway, worth a listen - especially if you still think flats are all dead and lifeless ;)

EDIT - sorry, seems the link to sound files has gone, maybe @Sibob could restore here?

Edited by Soledad

27 minutes ago, Soledad said:

Are these the 42 - 100s? Around £43? I suppose I'll have to try them - using EB Cobalts  at the moment, and been happy with some 45-100 Fenders on a fretless I got recently but always up for trying strings... gets expensive though.

I do check the US prices as I can get them brought over. EBs seem to be around $35 but the LaBellas (just a first look) $45. Fender 45-100s $17👍(All those $ prices from Strings and Beyond, not hunted around yet). 
Makes the Fenders a bargain at a bit over £13 a set. Was planning a bulk order of EBs but I might try a set of La Bellas, I know @Sibob is a fan and there's a demo of them on a P and a Lakland here (but don't recall if these LaBellas are the low tension). Anyway, worth a listen - especially if you still think flats are all dead and lifeless ;)

*Headphones/decent speakers needed*

These are the 760FL on my ‘71 P:

These are the 760FS on my Lakland 44-64:

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Deedee said:

Mine arrived yesterday but i'm waiting for the existing strings on my Sandberg VM4 to die before replacing with the LaBellas.

Good you've shared your experience.

Dave

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soledad said:

EDIT - sorry, seems the link to sound files has gone, maybe @Sibob could restore here?

Bass Direct selling the LaBella low tension ones for £38 plus £2 postage if that helps. Where i got mine in last couple days

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1