Why become a member? ×

Precision and flats

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I've not had flats on a bass since early 80's with my P fretless.

Always seems to be a P bass with flats. 

I'm quite curious to see where this goes but also curious as to whether they sound good on other types of basses like Sandberg VM4 or even a Jazz bass

Dave

TI flats on my TT4 - sound great

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Soledad said:

We need user feedback on those Adagios and Olympias

I’ve had a set of Adagio flats on for nearly 3 years and they haven’t really changed much tone wise , maybe mellowed a bit, which I like, and the tension is good,    but they are on a jazz I don’t play constantly , probably around 6 hours a week , but well worth the money IMO,   my main jazz has tapewounds 🙂

• Thanks 1

I've tried a few different types of flats on my PJ and P basses.  I'm currently really liking Ernie Balls.  On my PJ I have Cobalt Flats and on my P their Group III flats.

I also tried Rotosound Jazz 77's, I really liked those too.

I didn't care much for La Bella's or for Chromes.

Edited by PJ-Bassist

I love TI Jazz Flats. The only slight downside for me was having the truss rod barely engaged, which seemed to emphasize the G string dead spot, even on a graphite reinforced neck. Otherwise I use Chromes ECB-81s, not too much stiffer, and sound great. Cobalt Flats also fab if you need the twang to still be present!

If you don't kill strings quickly with sweat, there's no need these days to have to deal with finger-wrecking rounds!

:D

6 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I've not had flats on a bass since early 80's with my P fretless.

Always seems to be a P bass with flats. 

I'm quite curious to see where this goes but also curious as to whether they sound good on other types of basses like Sandberg VM4 or even a Jazz bass

Dave

TI Jazz flats sound great on my USA Jazz and Precision basses, and on my USA Fender Jaguar and on my Fender Vintage Hotrod 70s Jazz USA... I think you get the picture.  Flats sound good on almost any bass.  (My opinion, of course. :) )

Frank.

• Like 3

I don't know why - in  these ' strings for a  P-bass' topics - nobody ever mentions neck size/nut width?

Personally I find heavier gauge strings suit them big'ol necks and lighter on the slimmer.

Does nobody agree?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KiOgon said:

I don't know why - in  these ' strings for a  P-bass' topics - nobody ever mentions neck size/nut width?

Personally I find heavier gauge strings suit them big'ol necks and lighter on the slimmer.

Does nobody agree?

Done both either way - it’s always just come down to what I feel comfortable playing string gauge/tension wise 

Considering flats for my 63 Precision, so a nooby at this.

Are all flats higher tension than say a standard set of D’Addario XL170 rounds in a similar gauge,, which I’ve used for donkeys years? Also does the change to a higher tension set of strings necessitate a lot of truss rod adjustment? From what’s been said above I’m fancying trying out some Fender flats, how do they compare tension wise? Thanks in anticipation of help.

Edited by casapete

19 minutes ago, casapete said:

Are all flats higher tension than say a standard set of D’Addario XL170 rounds

I don’t use rounds, but labella give the string tension of the , LTF-4A Low Tension Flats 42-100 ,    here , not sure if that helps  casapete 🙂

• Stainless Steel Flat Wound
  • Round cores for greater flexibility and narrower ribbon for an unrivaled smooth feeling
  • Light Tension
  • Total Tension in Lbs: 134.90 (1st 36.2, 2nd 34, 3rd 30.5, 4th 34.2)
  • String Gauges: .042, .056, .075, .100
  • Standard Long Scale Set
  • Made in the USA with American Wire
  • Packaged using MAP Technology (Modified Atmosphere Packaging) to prevent tarnishing and ensure freshness

All standard bass sets are LONG scale length. The 1st (G), 2nd (D), 3rd (A) strings are 38” from ball-end to silk/taper. The 4th (E) string is 36 ¾” from ball-end to silk/taper. Only the silk portion of the string should wrap around the tuning post or else the string will break. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

All three of my four string basses have LaBella flats - the Precision has lights and the jazzes have extra lights. Strangely, I didn't get on with them so well on my six strings, though.

Well quite, I bet they’re a bit heavy for guitar 🎸😂

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

If you like flats Dave, I guarantee you will love these, 👍

I've not tried them since early 80's but worth a shot if they last longer and don't take my fingertips off like rounds do :lol:

Worth a try i think. Little more expensive than my Dingwall strings but if they last longer that's good for me. Will just need to see how the tone sounds with them.

Dave

I prefer the feel of flats (no I don't, I prefer the feel of round wounds!!), I like to feel the texture of the string against my fingers, but prefer the sound of the flats.

Damn post made no sense, I meant to type that I prefer the feel of rounds, but the sound of flats. I'll give my fingers a damn good talking to.

Edited by FinnDave
  • Like 2