Why become a member? ×

Getting that spark back

28mistertee

Ok so in short other than rehearsing and gigging in our covers bands I haven’t really felt inspired to play in the last year or so. We started to write earlier in the year but have still only come up with one decent song (I’m new to original material). We cancelled yet another gig this weekend due to a member having a few personal problems.

Feels like the whole sparks gone and the inspiration just isn’t there. Every time I pick up the bass nothing comes out. What do you all do to get back into it? Exercises to improve your playing? Maybe stick one of your favourite albums on and try and learn it? This years been chaotic but I’d love to finish work and look forward to picking up the bass and improving my playing or learning new stuff. Anything that just involves playing and enjoying it really.

Good shout on both posts. Had a nightmare year with band members changing then having to get them up to speed on set, we’ve found ourselves playing the same old songs so it’s all gotten a bit monotonous. Going to try and take a step back and learn some songs I just enjoy listening to. Another issue I’ve had is not being able to set my amp up due to lack of room but we’re moving house in a few weeks and I’m going to make the spare room into a man cave so plenty of room to chill out and play 😉

• Like 3

Do you have an alternative bass that sounds or plays different to your main one?  Sometimes it's enough to either pick up a Stingray instead of a Jazz, or a 6er instead of a 4 string just to get something different in the sound or feel.  Failing that, maybe try back pick-up rather than front/both or vice versa??... Obviously if you have only one bass with one pick-up then this post is somewhat redundant... maybe try different settings on your amp - put on a bit of overdrive or something?

• Like 2

I usually keep to my Squier VM Mustang with Labella flats through my TC BH250 into a BF One10. Every now and again I'll have a noodle on my other 3 but, as much as I enjoy playing each one of them, it confirms my preference for the Mustang as my go to instrument.

As for amplification, although I often play through other rigs at music club/practice, my above rig is just the bee's knees.

I am GAS-free since about 12 months previous other than acquiring a second One10 which doesn't count.

Edited by grandad
  • Like 1

Our playlist consists of mostly Jazz standards with a few more modern tunes plus some quirky odd ones usually suggested by our young singer, (she does have a strange taste in songs). There are 1 or 2 that I hate playing that the others like so I just put up with it. The rest are either OK and others that I just love and never tire of.

If I get bit jaded from time to time I'll look for a challenge and learn something new for the challenge and my interest in the bass line. At the moment I'm learning "I say a little prayer for you". I find Bacharach tunes have unusual chord progressions.

Edited by grandad
  • Like 2

When I have hit these kind of patches I tend to just put it all away and do something else for a while. I have been through phases over the years when I just play a lot of acoustic guitar and then eventually I feel the urge to play bass again.

I haven’t picked my bass up properly in months, no time, no energy and no enthusiasm. Today I got as far as pulling the case out from under the bed and playing a couple of notes. I also have the urge to learn some Vulfpeck so that might be my next challenge as I am done with bands for a while.

• Like 2

In recent weeks I've not picked up a bass as I'm getting more satisfaction playing my acoustic with different tunings. If you only play bass then try playing along to less familiar tunes you think have tasty basslines or even make up lines to tunes that don't even feature a bass guitar like classical, jazz, folk, anything.

• Like 1

Wow loving these ideas, heard a few things on the radio lately on songs I wouldn’t really normally pay attention to and was trying to work the bass lines out in my head. Also soundtracks to films/tv series is another one, when I get a minute and pick my bass up I’m going to try and work some of these out. 

I sometimes find it difficult to pick up the bass. My preferred option is to buy something new. nothing gets me wanting to play more than having a new bass, amp or even effect. although that can be costly so sometimes it's just a case of waiting until the mood strikes to pick it up again. i find forcing myself to play tends to leave me more deflated and less likely to enjoy it.

An enjoyable gig or a moment of inspiration usually reminds me why i love the bass so much

• Like 1