Why become a member? ×

Beginning of the end?

Al Krow

On 25/10/2019 at 12:47, FinnDave said:

I refuse to play in Reading these days - impossible to park and 'bus lanes' everywhere with cameras all over the place. Whatever you make on the gig is likely to be taken away by traffic infringement fines. 

5-6 hours of travel, sounds like a $300.00 per man gig.

Blue

• Haha 1

On 25/10/2019 at 18:25, Al Krow said:

Slippery slope / beginning of the end? Would you have done the gig?

Not on a school night, no. Not sure I would have been that tempted on a weekend TBH, I hate faffy gigs, but I would have less of an argument for it (and we don't use deps).

• 2 weeks later...

From a playing perspective, I'd do the gig. Not for the money, for the fun - it's come up on other threads, but my attitude is that I can put up with all of the other crap like late nights and unloading in the wee small hours, as long as i get to play the bass, which is better than staying in and not playing the bass

From a band perspective, as long as I get on with you, and as long as it doesn't happen every other time there's a gig, it wouldn't worry me and you wouldn't be any closer to a sacking because of not wanting to play a gig that is a major pain in the backside from a personal perspective, even if it meant cancelling the gig.  But even with the dep, my attitude might change if you were turning down a lot of gigs and cherry picking which ones you were doing.

From experience, the only other time it would become an issue is where the band has an unconnected problem with you.  If they do then it becomes another reason on the list of why to sack you

• Like 1

I get it. You don't want to feel like you're outside of the disco but things change as life goes on and it's very much the case that we need to be careful how we spend our time because we don't get it back.

I think this is very different from the beginning of the end. Might be the beginning of change though - could put you in a better place (especially if you don't need the bangers and mash - which is a nice place to be)

I play a lot more these days but mostly doing gigs that don't really float my boat artistically. I like the playing and social side so I keep doing it but frankly if something forced my hand I'd view the glass as slightly half full and make the change.

Anyway, if anyone would like to hear more of my life story you can reach me at

irrelevant@findsomethingbettertodoonafridayafternoon.co.uk

• Like 1

What's kinda amusing is that the Reading gig got pulled by the event organisers. But the Rubicon's been crossed and my not feeling that I have to take on every gig with my main covers bands is massively liberating. I think it was just an "emotional" bridge I needed to cross. 

Feels like we're landing in a pretty good place, as a band, with all the core line-up being on the group chat and always having first dibs at gigs. Deps only get called up when any of the core band can't make it. Means we can do as many or as few gigs as life / other commitments sometimes constrain us to do. 

There's been some cool words of wisdom on this thread, which have hit the mark! Thank you. 

• Like 1