Why become a member? ×

Headphone recommendations

cLepto-bass

Lately I have been toying with the idea of have a 'silent' rehearsal/practice option at home so as to keep noise to a minimum. Thankfully, I pretty much own everything that I would need: MarkBass LMII DI'd into Focusrite Scarlet interface (I think that sounds suitable but please inform me if that is erroneous). So anyway, the bit I would like advice on is the headphones. I am not really sure what sort I am after as my experience with them is limited but I would like clean and clear (alas Markbass) and obviously be able to handle and put out the bottom end with a thud. 

I would be very interested to hear anybodies thoughts on this. Thanks in advance.

A very good friend of mine works in music production/writing/session work etc and he and a lot of friends/colleagues swear by the Sennheiser HD25’s. Apparently they have a very flat natural response and sound fantastic.

• Like 1

I use a Sennheiser HD202 (should it be "a pair of"? Hmmm, tricky...) for everything from "silent" rehearsal to gaming. Never had an issue with them.

I feel like one of the benefits of rehearsing through headphones is that it shows up any deficiencies in your technique in great detail. Practicing in "hard mode" means that gigs are, by comparison, "easy mode".

S.P.

10 hours ago, NJE said:

A very good friend of mine works in music production/writing/session work etc and he and a lot of friends/colleagues swear by the Sennheiser HD25’s. Apparently they have a very flat natural response and sound fantastic.

I use these all the time at home, and i'd agree with the above statement. I got a pair of Ashdown Meteors for Christmas, was recommended them and they were on off at HMV. Cant stand them. Too boomy to the point of swamping the low notes, and thats without the EQ on.  The HD25's by comparison seem very clear and handle low notes very well.

• Like 1

Given that you're using a Focusrite interface it's worth reading this article.

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/210708269-What-impedance-headphones-should-I-use-with-my-audio-interface-

I have two pairs - Audio Technica MX50x (closed back) 39 ohm and a set of AKG 702 open back 62 ohm..  The open back ones don't provide silent practice by their nature but they do give a more natural sound . I use them for mixing and for assessing the sound of live patches on interfaces such as my helix.  For practising I use the MX50xs as they have a more rounded sound. I don't use these for mixing or balancing live sound as they aren't as representative. 

I also have these AKG 702 as I can't stand closed back headphones (giving me headaches because of the higher pressure in the internal ear) and the AKG 702 was a revelation I didn't suspect as they are really good for almost all purposes. I found them better than my old late 90's (dead now) Sennheiser HD600.

If you want something cheap but great sounding get the Superlux HD681

i bought them a few years back due to a thread singing their praises ,and have been amazed how good they are..

i now have 3 pairs one for home use and 2 in studios i use

but be prepared to to upset fellow musicians using far more expensive cans as these often sound better 😀 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, timhiggins said:

If you want something cheap but great sounding get the Superlux HD681

i bought them a few years back due to a thread singing their praises ,and have been amazed how good they are..

i now have 3 pairs one for home use and 2 in studios i use

but be prepared to to upset fellow musicians using far more expensive cans as these often sound better 😀 

I was just about to mentioned cost. I'm not a professional so £100 on some headphones my dog will probably end up eating is impractical. 

• Haha 2

I use the Sennheiser HD 25-1 at home, comfy and pleasant with good detail in the low end. The HD200 are a different animal, not comparable! HD25 pads and wire etc are all available sold separately.

Beyerdynamic DT770 pro are very popular cans among drummers. Many bassists like them too. 

If you want a neat headset that the dog can chew without great upset have a look at the Samson SR850! Owned and used by most studios, cheap but surprisingly flat response! Not for hifi but great for silent practice etc.  Can not go wrong.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Thought I would chime on on this thread - I’ve got up to £40 to spend on a set of phones for silent practice from my hx stomp...

the Edifer version of the Phil Jones headphones are in budget...

The Sennheiser HD 25-1, Samson SR850 (as meantioned by @Bolo) the Superlux HD681 (as per @timhiggins recomend) are in budget too - anything else I should put on the shortlist? 

also have works set of audiotechnica M20 at work that are pretty good

Edited by LukeFRC