Why become a member? ×

Fender Rumble 200 vs Ashdown Studio 15

Trueno

Fender Rumble 200 vs Ashdown Studio15. I think you can get the idea...

I want something very light to carry but powerful enough for small gigs... probably backline with vocal-only PA. I sold my Markbass amp a few years ago, believing I would never gig again (silly me). I don't really want to do Markbass again, don't want to spend that much and been there, done that.

I have an Orange Crush 50 for practice and rehearsal, but don't think it'll have enough whoomph for even small gigs (new word there... whoomph, not heft, nor grunt, nor cajones etc etc...).

Any thoughts/experiences? I wonder how such lightweight cabs will do in a gig. The Ashdown weighs about 10kgs... crazy. The Fender is slightly bigger and weighs about 15kgs, but is my slight preference at the moment.

... I also have a pathological dislike for buying used gear... bad experience 40 years ago...

Cheers, everyone.

PS. Forgot... tone controls not too much of an issue, I still have my rather wonderful EBS Microbass pre-amp/DI pedal. It's my tone in a box.

Edited by Trueno

As with all these sorts of situations, it very much depends on your band - I've got a Rumble 100 for the small trio gigs when there's some PA support, and for smaller bars with vocal-only PA, which is even smaller and lighter than the 200, although with a giddy drummer I've found myself on occasion driving it quite hard. I'm seriously considering spending £65 to put a much better speaker in there (and another tenner to line it: it's an unlined cab, and I've experienced it feeding back when I'm standing close and cranking it), as I like the weight and small size. I should add that I have a Walkabout and two BF cabs, a 115 and a monster 212, so if I need to step up I've got lots of options, it's just the verrrrry small Rumble combo is great to grab and go...

I would say that the 'lightweight' part of the cab has nothing to do with the whooomph, heft, grunt or whatever - the BF 212 weighs 39lbs and will drown any drummer - I used to use it in a Rawk band with a shedbuilder and two Marshall/412 halfstack guitards, and it comfortably ran with them with headroom to burn...

• Like 1

Useful reply, Muzz. Thanks.

Fender Rumble 100 would be great if I thought it would be loud enough (+ a bit of headroom). Still favouring the 200.

I used to have a 12" Markbass combo nestled on a stand between two Marshall half stacks. I rather liked the fact it looked so weird and it was always loud enough... I had an extension cab but never needed it, but we also had a monster full-band PA.

I've had the MB 112 (and a 115) combo, and while it was a while ago, so I'm going off memory here, judging from the volume available from the Rumble 112, I'd say if the Rumble 200 is of a size and weight you can hoick about comfortably, then it'd do as good a job as the MB 112...

I've just found out that the PMT store in Leeds is easy for me to get to on public transport. I have been out of it for a while, so never noticed before.

Probably have a visit in early December... have hols first.... then try out the the various options, plus a few more. I'm sure they can arrange delivery or summat if they want to take the money off me.

The danger is that I might be coming home with a new bass as well.

• 2 months later...
On 26/10/2019 at 09:03, Trueno said:

I've just found out that the PMT store in Leeds is easy for me to get to on public transport. I have been out of it for a while, so never noticed before.

Probably have a visit in early December... have hols first.... then try out the the various options, plus a few more. I'm sure they can arrange delivery or summat if they want to take the money off me.

The danger is that I might be coming home with a new bass as well.

Did you buy the Fender Rumble 200 115? I'm thinking of buying one as it does get good reviews and is quite lightweight. I'd be interested to know your thoughts if you were able to listen in store. Thanks

Funnily enough, I was in PMT today trying out some small combos, and was very impressed with the Studio 15; Ashdown have clearly gone for the Rumble series, and done a good job, too. The Studio 15 weighs nothing, is very compact, and has plenty of punch...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Muzz said:

Funnily enough, I was in PMT today trying out some small combos, and was very impressed with the Studio 15; Ashdown have clearly gone for the Rumble series, and done a good job, too. The Studio 15 weighs nothing, is very compact, and has plenty of punch...

I picked up a Studio 10 a couple of days ago and it's brilliant.  I've got a Rumble 500 too and can see that the Studio 15 is a serious challenger for that.  

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry... missed a few replies to this and I've been on holiday.

I bought a Rumble 500 in the end, and I think it's great. I thought about a Rumble 200 but it cost the same and weighed the same and I fancied the 2x10 speakers for a change.

Rumble 500 vs Ashdown Studio 15. This was exactly 50/50 for me. The only thing that swung it was that the Rumble was in version 3 and clearly very popular, while the Ashdown was brand new and relatively untried at the time. Obviously that will change as the Ashdown is picking up momentum now.

I did think that if I bought the Fender a small part of me would wish I'd bought the Ashdown... and vice versa. That has proven to be the case.

If the Rumble explodes or gets nicked, I'll probably get the Studio 15. Why not?

The 15" driver in the 200c and the 115 cab really sounds great. Both have a compression tweeter that is missing from the 100c. My rhythm guitar sounds good enough through my 200c, that I no longer use my VOX AC4 practice amp, or my BA-108 for that matter.

One thing you can do with the 40c on up is daisy-chain 2 of them via FX Send (amp 1) to FX Return (amp 2 as speaker cab). Works great.

I also prefer the 12" driver in the 100 to the 10" drivers used in the 500, 800 and 210.

Bonus Fender Rumble v3 tip: You can use the OD circuit as a mute. Turn both knobs fully CCW (off). Switch on the OD circuit via footswitch. Instant MUTE!

Rumble on!

Edited by TheMaartian

I think that had I been in a similar situation customer service would have been a factor for me and knowing how good this is from Ashdown (and that they have a presence here on this forum) I think I would have swayed towards the good ole Made in the UK brand.

If you're happy though...

18 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I think that had I been in a similar situation customer service would have been a factor for me and knowing how good this is from Ashdown (and that they have a presence here on this forum) I think I would have swayed towards the good ole Made in the UK brand.

If you're happy though...

Good point.

28 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I believe that they are designed in the UK but manufactured in PR of China.

I also believe that the Fender Rumble v3 combos are manufactured in PR of China. 

15 hours ago, JohnDaBass said:

I believe that they are designed in the UK but manufactured in PR of China.

I also believe that the Fender Rumble v3 combos are manufactured in PR of China. 

Another good point...heh! heh!

I'm never really bothered about country of origin if the stuff works ok, but customer service is an issue... hopefully never tested.

Qualify the country of origin thing... increasing awareness of eco issues and transporting this stuff halfway round the globe. I live 5 miles from Matamp. Do they manufacture in the UK?