Why become a member? ×

Hard Case vs Gig Bag

fclef4life

Hey guys! I have a question for you regarding the best way to handle the double bass when going to rehearsals and local gigs. I use a gig bag, but it's a bit hard experience to put the instrument inside/outside of it (compared to electric bass) and sometimes I feel like the instrument is not protected enough, specially around the bridge area. So I'm thinking about getting a hard case. It will solve the above issues, but it might add a new one: portability. I would appreciate your thoughts and experiences on this topic. Many thanks!

accord-kontrabass-flight-case_6164-15.jpg.91f9e7205348c1f076536b7406227839.jpg
a-d.jpg.67ca2c2468d3afcb5ed54e2bdf0ab1e9.jpg

I've used a well padded gig bag (Cristopher brand) for 60+ gig a year for 8 years without any problems whatsoever. It's been in cars, in the back of vans, in pickup trucks, on tractors and once on a steam engine.

I'd only consider a hard case if I was flying or if my bass was being regularly loaded/unloaded by random stage crew. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TheRev said:

I've used a well padded gig bag (Cristopher brand) for 60+ gig a year for 8 years without any problems whatsoever. It's been in cars, in the back of vans, in pickup trucks, on tractors and once on a steam engine.

I'd only consider a hard case if I was flying or if my bass was being regularly loaded/unloaded by random stage crew. 

This. Also, have you looked at what those fibreglass cases cost?? I could just buy a new bass, really. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Duckyincarnate said:

This. Also, have you looked at what those fibreglass cases cost?? I could just buy a new bass, really. 

I could buy two of my bass for the cost of one case...

If you have a proper expensive (like £8k+) professional orchestra standard bass, then a hard case is probably worth it.

Edited by TheRev
  • Like 2

I've yet to see anyone gig with a hard case, except the double-bass player for Melody Gardot at Bristol Colston Hall a couple of years back. Must've been eight foot long, but I think it was a 4/4... I always take my fretless along as a back up in case something goes wrong such as the bridge getting knocked.

• Like 1