Why become a member? ×

The big man - or woman - at the back

Bassfinger

5’11” (1.80m) with average sized hands. I too, have found that in the 70’s, during my teenage years, being just under 6ft tall was considered quite tall but walking round the local shopping centre now, there seems to be an abundance of 6’2”+ teenagers about. 

13 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

Yes, I’m 6’2” with an 18 stone rugby players frame, a Strat looks like a toy on me. Anything other than a full scale bass looks ridiculous on me.

Alan Nimmo seems to pull it off and even throws in a kilt for good measure 

CCA19FAD-A0D1-4CF8-A7A9-1A24E4879FDA.jpeg.79100a3963190b8adad3fcaaf9da4bbe.jpeg

1 hour ago, MoJo said:

5’11” (1.80m) with average sized hands. I too, have found that in the 70’s, during my teenage years, being just under 6ft tall was considered quite tall but walking round the local shopping centre now, there seems to be an abundance of 6’2”+ teenagers about. 

True, my 19 year old son is 6’5” and towers over me. He’s not a bass player though...

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/10/2019 at 18:51, 4000 said:

Actually, one of the issues with people stating their heights is many people either have no real idea or lie. I’m actually 5’11” and a half if I’m being accurate, but the amount of people who have said to me “you must be about six three because I’m six foot” when they’re actually no more than five nine is ludicrous.

You too?  I'm a whisker under 6 foot and  was once in a band with a singer who was about 6'2".  A mate was telling me how weird it was that there were two exceptionally tall in the same band, with me being 6'2" and the singer being at least 6'4".  Based on him believing that he was 6 feet rather than 5'9"

On 26/10/2019 at 08:29, MoJo said:

Is that the feller from King King? I thought he looked fairly hefty even from the back of the Shepherd's Bush Empire.

Mind you, if you think a Strat looks small on him, you should look up Buddy Whittington. Go on; I'll wait.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

Is that the feller from King King? I thought he looked fairly hefty even from the back of the Shepherd's Bush Empire.

Mind you, if you think a Strat looks small on him, you should look up Buddy Whittington. Go on; I'll wait.

It is the guy from King King

On 25/10/2019 at 18:51, 4000 said:

Agreed on all points!😁

Actually, one of the issues with people stating their heights is many people either have no real idea or lie. I’m actually 5’11” and a half if I’m being accurate, but the amount of people who have said to me “you must be about six three because I’m six foot” when they’re actually no more than five nine is ludicrous.

This is so true. I'm a semi-regular gym goer (ex-fattie on my way down) so we do the measurements and such quite a lot to keep track of setbacks progress. As such, I'm pretty damn sure that I'm exactly 176cm after gentle day's work. That's around 5'9" but it'd have to be at least 6 foot if I believed everybody else about their own heights. Just look at celebheights.com to see how obsessed everyone (well, blokes) are over their height.

• Like 1

On 26/10/2019 at 08:29, MoJo said:

CCA19FAD-A0D1-4CF8-A7A9-1A24E4879FDA.jpeg.79100a3963190b8adad3fcaaf9da4bbe.jpeg

Getting a bit O/T, but once upon a time I teched on a Nimmo Brothers gig.

Great band, but far and away the loudest on-stage sound I've ever encountered. Stupidly loud. To the point that even standing back stage was painful.

I'm with 4000 and Monkey Steve at being just a fraction under 6 foot. Although I am now half and inch taller than I was 15 years ago! I hurt my back lifting a monitor on a gig in my early 20's. It wasn't until I went to a chiropractor in my 40's that the twist in my spine was properly sorted, allowing me to stand up straight for the first time in 20 years! Still didn't make it to 6 foot, though... 😣

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

I know my height as that is what the Army measured me at when I had my medical.  I was 18 by then so don't suppose I've got any taller.

Depending on how long ago it was, you may be a little shorter though.

I'm 6'6", used to think I was 6'5" until I got properly measured and it turned out I was an inch taller, felt like I'd won something although I'm not sure what. A bit like earlier this year when I forgot my age and thought I was a year older for a few months. It was like I'd got an extra year of life when I realised.

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Like 1